Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am looking at buying a 2005 GT with only 10,000 miles on it. The previous owner though converted it to a straight pipe which sounds really bad ass. The dealer has said that he would e-test it with the straight pipes and if it passes I could have it like that, otherwise he'd put mufflers on it for me. (I prefer the sound of the straight pipe)

I was doing some reading though and there seems to be concerns about the amount of back pressure with a straight pipe setup, should I be concerned? Is it possible that some damage is already done to the engine? Despite the low milleage it only has powertrain warranty until Feb because of it being an 05

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
It shouldn't damage the engine at all. It may change your power curve somewhat, but that's about it. They sound bad a$$, but I'm not sure I could stand them in a daily driver.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah on the test drive I couldn't get over how loud it was... I guess i'll wait and see what happens with the e-test and then go from there.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
the louder the better haha:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how would it effect the car power wise? would it be a gain or loss in HP?

I have a short commute to work so I t hink I could put up with the noise

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drive 2 to 4 hours a day with straight pipes and I love it.
Cold starts are fun!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what effect does it have on cold starts? I plan on driving this year round since my commute is so short.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
how would it effect the car power wise? would it be a gain or loss in HP?

I have a short commute to work so I t hink I could put up with the noise
Due to a decrease in backpressure, you may see a little less torque down low, but probably a higher horsepower up higher in the RPM's.

·
Registered
781 Posts
invest in ear plugs lol Im thinking about it with my Bassani Race mufflers lol. But it wont hurt anything if anything it should increase HP

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! I'm going crazy sitting around waiting to hear about the financing. I Know I'll get approved I just don't know what the interest rate will be. The old ball and chain has set a limit on the monthly payment and it's going to be damn close!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
If it's only mufflers that are gone, there will be no change in emissions. If the cats are removed, you will almost certainly fail and the car will be insanely loud.

Put any old mufflers on it, with no cats and it will sound great.

Cold starts will be louder. That's about it. I like it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've had straight pipes on my f-250 for years but dont think i'd want them on my mustang but mufflers are cheap if it gets too loud plus bonus is they are the last part of the exhaust on the mustang so install should be easy depending on how he modified it.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Removing the mufflers has almost no effect on backpressure. If the cats are removed, that's a different story.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't notice it the cats where removed, guess we will see how it does on the e-test. I am going crazy waiting to hear from them. They didn't hear back from the financing yesterday so hopefully tomorrow! The wife says the payments need to be under $450 a month for me to get it lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah cold starts are just like 2x or 3x louder than a warm start.
It's just what I need to wake up before going to work.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the help guys! Finally got all of the financing in order and at a rate that my wife would approve! Car is gone to get e-tested and if it passes I'll be keeping the straight pipes if it fails then the dealer is putting it back to a stock exhaust.

If it passes the e-test then I'll be bringing her home on Saturday if not sometime next week! I can't wait, hoping to have her home for fathers day!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here she is! Fully loaded, shaker 1000, straight pipes and only 13,000km (about 8,000 miles I think? something like that lol)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.