Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew where i could find the cheapest cobra possible. maybe one that needs a bit of body work, but still runs well. And what's the best year for performance? I'd prefer an 03-04. But i'm looking to trade my 67 cougar for one. It's mint condition, with a Hi-po 289 shelby motor in it. So if someone could tell me what the best year for performance is, like what rear end they run, and what the average RWHP is (stock). I read on another thread that some guy was pushing 420 RWHP stock. That nearly blew my mind. Orr somewhere i could find a SVT cobra motor to put in my cougar. Either way, i'd be happy. So any info would help, thanks.

I'm also thinking about supercharging my 289.. would that shoot me up to the power of a cobra? Seeing as how it would be cheaper.. Any thoughts ont hat also?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Click on link. It should answer most of your questions:
CobraBob's Stang Shifter Gaskets - FAQs

Just scroll through the list

As far as buying the cheapest Cobra...I don't know. '03-04 Cobra's where proven to be underrated from the factory, due to the '99 Cobra debacle of not putting out the horsepower that was advertised.

Click on link and then go to the Market section. People there are always selling their Cobra's. Maybe you can find what you are looking for?
SVTPerformance - Powered by vBulletin

Happy hunting

·
Registered
786 Posts
never trade in

I don't want to hijack this thread and de-rail your question, but I have to advise you against trading in your cougar. Any used car dealership is only going to give you 1/2 of what the open market will bear right now, and if they do give you a fair market value, then they will find a way to get the money from you another way (they will haggle less then they would with cash down) so sell her privately, you will get way more bang for your buck and end up with a better Cobra for less money then if you trade your cat. I am a fellow cougar fan. I have driven one since I was old enuf to drive. Keep it or sell it for what is is worth, but don't trade it in. Just my opinion. Good luck and happy trails.
Bill

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't want to hijack this thread and de-rail your question, but I have to advise you against trading in your cougar. Any used car dealership is only going to give you 1/2 of what the open market will bear right now, and if they do give you a fair market value, then they will find a way to get the money from you another way (they will haggle less then they would with cash down) so sell her privately, you will get way more bang for your buck and end up with a better Cobra for less money then if you trade your cat. I am a fellow cougar fan. I have driven one since I was old enuf to drive. Keep it or sell it for what is is worth, but don't trade it in. Just my opinion. Good luck and happy trails.
Bill

Ohhh yeah, for sure. I had never planned on trading it in to a car lot. I was speaking more of buying from a private owner. But i do know the history behind these cougars, and seeing as how this is the first year they came out, i know this car has some history and value to it. I want to keep it, but then again, i want to be able to keep up with a cobra, or at least a GT. But i haven't truly seen this cars power yet, due to transmission failures. So i still am not too sure as to how fast this car is. But say i put a new c4 tranny in it... do you think i would be able to keep up with a GT? It's got a 4:11 ford 9 inch rear end, and the engine has a cam, titanium valves, and aluminum heads and such. With a 750 carb and high rise intake.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And also, what's the difference between a cobra, and an SVT cobra?

·
Registered
668 Posts
And also, what's the difference between a cobra, and an SVT cobra?
The same thing. They did back during the Mustang II years (74-78) they had a Cobra, but it was just a cosmetic package I believe. Then in 1993 ford gave birth to SVT (special vehicles team), a performance division of Ford where the Cobra was born. Not releated to the Mustang II Cobra.

So pretty much when you see Cobra and SVT Cobra, it is the same thing. Unless you are talking about the 1965 Cobra, not the same thing.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Also about your "cobra" and "svt cobra". Svt made the " cobra R"

·
Registered
537 Posts
svt has been making the cobras since 1993. The Cobra R's came in 1993, 1995, and 2000.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.