Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into buying a mustang but I'm a tad bit concerned about a few things
-I'm not use to driving a car with a long hood and was wondering if it's an issue when it comes to driving the car
-most of the cars that I've driven before have been FWD or AWD so I was wondering if this car has any issue in foul weather even if you drive carefully

just wondering if some current ford mustang owners can give me some insight and tell me if it's a difficult car to drive in general. Sorry for the newbie question.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
The long hood just takes some getting used to where the bumper, front overhang and corners are. Not too big of a deal and no different than adjusting from a small car to a full size pickup or an SUV to a station wagon. Every style of car is a little different.

Of course RWD is different than AWD or FWD. Don't floor it on slick roads when going around corners and you'll be fine.

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
Totally agree with Blazin72, nothing difficult about it just a little adjustment time needed.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Long hood

I'm not use to driving a car with a long hood and was wondering if it's an issue when it comes to driving the car
-most of the cars that I've driven before have been FWD or AWD so I was wondering if this car has any issue in foul weather even if you drive carefully.
If you are not tall, you can raise the seat and it will help you look out over the hood. But ...... I recently bought one of these and did not have any difficulty when pulling it into a parking space between two other cars.

I am from Florida, so I cannot say anything about driving on ice. For wet roads - slow down. If the back end does break loose (fish tail), just take your foot off the gas and the back end will snap back into place behind the front.

Rear wheel drive is really nothing to worry about. You are likely to find that you prefer it. People used to think that rear wheel drive cars were safer and more stable. They worried about having to learn new driving techniques for the new front wheel drive cars.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The traction control and stability control that these cars come with is pretty fool-proof, now, so losing the rear end is much less of a concern than even my 2006 GT. You're looking at the Ecoboost, so you're about 300 HP, which is a good amount, but well below the 435 that the GT has. In my experience (~6 years in a 2006 GT, 2 months in a 2016 GT), drive smoothly, drive for the conditions, and learn the car. Do that, and you'll be fine.

Also, someone above noted that if the rear end breaks loose, you should take your foot off the gas. That's partially true, but can actually worsen the situation, as quickly removing power from the rear wheels can cause additional oversteer. The correct way to overcome oversteer (rear end tires have broken loose, while front tires maintain traction), is to actually steer into the turn, and slowly ease off the gas. For instance, if you're approaching a tight right hand turn, and you have turned the wheel to the right towards the apex, once you feel the rear tires break loose, instead of simply pulling your foot off the gas, you'd want to turn the wheels left, to maintain the line.

This website can explain it better than I can - A driver's guide to oversteer | drivingfast.net

One way, or the other, learn the car, take it slow, and don't push it without traction control on until you've really learned the limits of the car.

JR

Reactions: joe7280

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was looking into buying a mustang but I'm a tad bit concerned about a few things
-I'm not use to driving a car with a long hood and was wondering if it's an issue when it comes to driving the car
-most of the cars that I've driven before have been FWD or AWD so I was wondering if this car has any issue in foul weather even if you drive carefully

just wondering if some current ford mustang owners can give me some insight and tell me if it's a difficult car to drive in general. Sorry for the newbie question.
Think about one thing before you buy. The terrible sound that an Eco Boast makes when you accelerate. There is nothing you can do to overcome that sound..............

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think stuff like this are great who agrees?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I AGREE with the points everyone mentioned.
-the long hood takes some getting used too, but no different than being in any other car with varying hood lengths, you'll get it down.
- and RWD is different than AWD or FWD, but if you get a model with the drive modes, not only can you control traction control, but they have a drive mode specifically for ice/snow/rain which takes all the worry away

·
Registered
544 Posts
Think about one thing before you buy. The terrible sound that an Eco Boast makes when you accelerate. There is nothing you can do to overcome that sound..............
The Ecoboost Mustang is very quiet under acceleration, that is why aftermarket exhausts are so popular. The sound that it does make is one of the better sounding 4cyl engines. No it does not sound like a V8 but neither does a 6, 10 or 12 cylinder. Each have their own unique sound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts