Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, hello AFM!

I have ordered a 2012 Mustang (Coupe, 401A, brembo, 3.73, 6MT) scheduled for delivery in late July. I discovered the MT82 shifting problem thread about a week ago. I'm sure it's well known here:

Official 2011 Mustang Manual Transmission Rough Shifting Thread

Never before have I heard of or seen a thread with so many posts (nearing 5000).

I would like advice from people experienced with and without this problem: would this make you reconsider a planned purchase? Please indicate whether you have a 2011+ Mustang and whether it has manual or an automatic transmission. This would be my first Ford product and first coupe/sporty car.

The vehicle I ordered will be the most expensive purchase of my life thus far, twice as much as my last car purchase a few years ago.

Does anybody in the Vegas area have this shifting/deal/Ford problem? I'd like to talk it over with them/you before my order arrives in late July... it would be much easier to let a non-refundable deposit go rather than suffer with all these problems.

Thanks for making it this far! I appreciate your viewpoint and advice!

-Dan

·
Registered
345 Posts
It is a fact that there are people having problems with the MT82. But there are also a lot of people who are not having problems with theirs. Obviously those with problems will make the most noise, looking for a solution that Ford apparently does not have yet. I do not blame them as I would join with them if I was having issues. But I do not have the tranny issues, had the clutch pedal problem and a whiny rearend, both of which were taken care of by my dealer.

Hopefully Ford will find a cure and satidfy those with problems soon, or they may lose future customers for what is possibly the best Mustang ever.

Mine is an 11, 4/10 build, MT82, 3.73, just turned 5k miles. Would I buy this car if I was aware of the existing problems? Yes I would as I do not think the majority are having the problems but knowing the warranty is there for these issues.
Again, I empathize with those who are having problems and hope things will be fixed soon.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have not had issues with the transmission yet it just whines a little bit but all mt82 do.. My car has 2400 miles. I had it for 3 months. I had also seen all the threads about the transmission and it didnt stop me from getting the car.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ditto,, Many of us without problems. This Stang is one of the best ever built IMO and I believe that theres thousands of us that share that view as well..

I look forward to driving mine whenever possible..its just that kind of car for thousands of us..

Test drive her , your 2012, when she is delivered first.. My money would be on you going back into the dealership and starting using us some ink...

Hope you stay with your decision take delivery of that 2012 GT and Best of Luck !!

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a Kona 401A with a barton shifter and bracket and once i get used to the shifting it is a dream made better once the oil warms up to temp in the tranny It shifts smooth though rather mechanical like with my mods done aka shifter and bracket :) and i need to allow the shifter to find third on its own and not be manhandled to a block that wont work :) my bad if i just palm the shifter its like butter :)
Very happy with car so far :) my car is a mid Nov 2010 build Mustang GT 6MT82 skip shift disabled andshifter box shhimmed .50th to help 1.2 engage batter :) ez stuff to do in a warm garage :) When warm this tranny is matched to thif car lke hall need Oates !!! old but it works LoL enjoy :) \715 2122849 cell me with kona gt with a bama tune 91 street :)\be fun i say :)

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
It's a tough decision. I went ahead and rolled the dice. My 2012 GT should be here in the the next few weeks. If she turns out to be a lemon then I'll get something else. I've wanted that 5.0 from the first moment I read about it. Let's hope it turns out in my favor. :yup:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Dan,

I used this site to research any potential issues, saw the MT82 threads and ultimately decided to go for it anyway.

As others have said, there's only a small percentage of people experiencing problems with the transmission, there's warranty coverage, and worst case scenario you document every trip to the dealer and pursue a "lemon law" solution.

There's also the fading hope that Ford will come up with an actual fix for the problem.

:D

I've been buying Japanese vehicles because based on the experience of friends and family I felt better off. This is my first new American vehicle and I *really* hope I don't regret it!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Official 2011 Mustang Manual Transmission Rough Shifting Thread

Never before have I heard of or seen a thread with so many posts (nearing 5000).
4,828 at present. That number by the way is a link. Click on it and see for yourself how many of those posts are made by how many individuals. For the sake of argument, we'll assume everyone who has made a post on that thread has a problem, then subtract one for Ford Customer Service.

Take that number and divide that into the number of 2011 and 2012 Mustangs sold to date. That should allow you to determine your own perspective.

PS You seem to have overlooked that there are almost as many posts, 4,201 at present, on the Who Ordered a 2012 Thread. Most of those folks specified a manual.

PSS I am always a little dubious when someone's first post is on this topic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I work at nellis afb and own a white 2011 mustang gt. The tranny is nice and smooth. The only thing is a tiny bit of resistance going into 2nd gear when its cold. Once warmed up, its smooth sailing (shifting). I have a barton ss and seems to make the cold resistance more pronounced than the stock shifter. But again, that's only within the first couple of miles. All in all, I love the car.702-219-0431, text me if u have any other questions.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is a fact that there are people having problems with the MT82. But there are also a lot of people who are not having problems with theirs. Obviously those with problems will make the most noise, looking for a solution that Ford apparently does not have yet. I do not blame them as I would join with them if I was having issues. But I do not have the tranny issues, had the clutch pedal problem and a whiny rearend, both of which were taken care of by my dealer.

Hopefully Ford will find a cure and satidfy those with problems soon, or they may lose future customers for what is possibly the best Mustang ever.

Mine is an 11, 4/10 build, MT82, 3.73, just turned 5k miles. Would I buy this car if I was aware of the existing problems? Yes I would as I do not think the majority are having the problems but knowing the warranty is there for these issues.
Again, I empathize with those who are having problems and hope things will be fixed soon.
I also have no issues with my Stang.1st and second are a little notchy and is not an issue after the tranny is warmed up,then it shifts great.I am ecstatic with this car and glad I went with the manny tranny.In my opinion,the stick shift just makes it more fun to drive!!I would order the exact same car today.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Seem there's three of this exact same thread a week.

"Hey random strangers! I need you to make up my mind for me since I heard from some other strangers I might have issues!"

Do your proper research and take the risk or don't. Every manufacturer has issues on every car in every trim in all parts of the country. You'll find horror stories on every forum, take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Since the OP resides in Vegas he should be okay. I don't think anyone can deny that the MT82 doesn't work well in cold weather so to me the risk is directly proportional to the distance you reside from the equator. If I lived in Vegas my transmission would be nearly flawless but I live in Canada and the cold causes 2nd and 3rd gear to grind at temps below 60F until the transmission warms up.

·
Banned
2,000 Posts
We have no idea at this point how many are affected. Anyone claiming to know is just giving their opinion. Owners not experiencing issues present their own math and proclaim very few are affected. Those experiencing issues use their own math. In the end, it's not the problem so much as how it is being addressed.

My only advice is to use your best judgement... Ask yourself:

If your car develops this problem, how would you feel about bringing your new car to the dealer multiple times and collecting your documentation in order to pursue the lemon law. Currently, that's the only way out of the vehicle without losing your shirt. Do you consider Ford's handling of this and its treatment of those experiencing problems acceptable?

Don't get hung up on made-up numbers and opinions. This is not so much about the transmission as it is a company honoring their warranty. If I were in you shoes, I'd ask folks on that thread "Did Ford fix your car?"

Hope this is helpful to you.

·
Banned
2,000 Posts
Since the OP resides in Vegas he should be okay. I don't think anyone can deny that the MT82 doesn't work well in cold weather so to me the risk is directly proportional to the distance you reside from the equator. If I lived in Vegas my transmission would be nearly flawless but I live in Canada and the cold causes 2nd and 3rd gear to grind at temps below 60F until the transmission warms up.
Not true HeavyD. I'm in San Jose, California and the transmission thread is filled with owner's in California, Arizona, Texas, and Florida with grinding even after the fluid swap... With fully warmed up cars.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It's a tough decision. I went ahead and rolled the dice. My 2012 GT should be here in the the next few weeks. If she turns out to be a lemon then I'll get something else. I've wanted that 5.0 from the first moment I read about it. Let's hope it turns out in my favor. :yup:
:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup I couldn't agree more with this statement. Good luck with your decision OP.

·
Banned
2,000 Posts
To the OP and anyone with a Mustang on order, might I suggest the following: Call the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 800-392-3673.

Explain you have a manual transmission Mustang on order and are concerned about the transmission problems owners are reporting. Ask when they intend to introduce a fix.

I hope this helps!!!! Report back on Ford's response!!!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
To the OP and anyone with a Mustang on order, might I suggest the following: Call the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 800-392-3673.

Explain you have a manual transmission Mustang on order and are concerned about the transmission problems owners are reporting. Ask when they intend to introduce a fix.

I hope this helps!!!! Report back on Ford's response!!!
This is actually very good advise. I did exactly what you suggest and even went a bit further by contacting ENCS (because of my circumstances). I didn't get the "perfect" answer from Ford, but ENCS did put my mind at ease (lemon policy assurance). Ford gave me the standard "we want to make your automobile purchase the best possible..." blah, blah, blah. Having said that, if I were in their shoes, I'd probably give the same type of standard "blah."

Another reason why I like your suggestion is because it lets Corporate know--even though it's in a very small way--that there is customer concern about how this is dealt with. It's a statistic they cannot deny.

Like I've stated many times, in many threads, I hope Ford does the right thing for all of you having tranny problems.

·
Banned
2,000 Posts
This is actually very good advise. I did exactly what you suggest and even went a bit further by contacting ENCS (because of my circumstances). I didn't get the "perfect" answer from Ford, but ENCS did put my mind at ease (lemon policy assurance). Ford gave me the standard "we want to make your automobile purchase the best possible..." blah, blah, blah. Having said that, if I were in their shoes, I'd probably give the same type of standard "blah."

Another reason why I like your suggestion is because it lets Corporate know--even though it's in a very small way--that there is customer concern about how this is dealt with. It's a statistic they cannot deny.

Like I've stated many times, in many threads, I hope Ford does the right thing for all of you having tranny problems.
Yeah, I think it's something very simple we ALL can do... happy owners, upset owners, future owners sitting on the fence... to make it known to Dearborn that this isn't the Fusion, Fiesta, or Taurus we're talking about here. Those cars will come and go... their names will change without a second thought... this is the MUSTANG we're talking about here.

Customer Relationship Center

United States
800-392-3673

Canada
800-565-3673

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I wouldnt sweat it dude, there are a ton of owners out there (including myself) that have no issues, alot of these issues are a result of ham fisted gorilla shifters that have no business being in a car with a clutch pedal. do I believe the trans is perfect? not even close but there are lots of Mustangs out there running quick times with the MT82 6 speed and they are holding up great. only issue I can bring up at this point (Im only 1000mi in on my 11 GT) is a bit of notchiness when I first start driving in the morning and that only last all of 2 minutes

·
Banned
2,000 Posts
alot of these issues are a result of ham fisted gorilla shifters that have no business being in a car with a clutch pedal.
I've been driving manual transmissions exclusively for almost 30 years and just lost my second transmission at 5000 miles. Let's not start blaming owners for these issues. :nono:

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.