Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Girls,

I'm looking at buying my first car ever. I'm 19 and live in Massachusetts. I'm looking at some Mustangs(huge fan since I was little). I'm having trouble. The mustangs I've been looking at are up to $20,000. Here's the Mustangs

2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium
$19,373 with 36,976 miles.

2012 Ford Mustang V6 Premium
$17,998 with 18,360 miles

My Problem is that I'm a first time car buyer(I do have Good credit). My dad is telling me to buy a car less then $6,000 but all those cars have over 100,000 miles. I would finance the car and pay monthly also I would have to pay insurance. What do you guys thing buy a car close to $20,000 with lower miles or buy a car less then $6,000 with high miles for a first car. (was looking at mustangs for less then $6,000)

Thank You

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Hey Guys and Girls,

I'm looking at buying my first car ever. I'm 19 and live in Massachusetts. I'm looking at some Mustangs(huge fan since I was little). I'm having trouble. The mustangs I've been looking at are up to $20,000. Here's the Mustangs

2014 Ford Mustang V6 Premium
$19,373 with 36,976 miles.

2012 Ford Mustang V6 Premium
$17,998 with 18,360 miles

My Problem is that I'm a first time car buyer(I do have Good credit). My dad is telling me to buy a car less then $6,000 but all those cars have over 100,000 miles. I would finance the car and pay monthly also I would have to pay insurance. What do you guys thing buy a car close to $20,000 with lower miles or buy a car less then $6,000 with high miles for a first car. (was looking at mustangs for less then $6,000)

Thank You
I don't know if you are going to school or what your plans are at the age of 19. In my opinion, you should listen to your dad, and not put the financial stress on yourself. You should be able to find a good vehicle for 6000 dollars or less. Most vehicles if taken care of properly can go at least 200K miles. You may want to consider purchasing from an owner instead of a dealer if you can swing a deal with a bank or credit union.

Good Luck remember you are still young.

·
Registered
461 Posts
For a very first car, spend $6k and skip the Mustang for now. When you're done with school and get that first good job, pick one up as a reward to yourself.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I waited until 2 years after graduation until buying my car, I would wait, you don't want to work just to pay for a car and be 'car-poor'.

** College graduation, and my second job out of school (bigger salary)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Listen to the comments already posted. You're young and we don't know what your plans are, but we can assume your dad is saying don't spend over $6k for a reason. He has a better perspective. Wait a bit and save up and then treat yourself. Take it from me, I saved up and I bought my brand new 2014 GT as a graduation present to myself. It was worth the wait.

·
Registered
682 Posts
What's the point in having a nice car that you can't drive because your car payment and insurance uses up all your gas money? Skip the mustang and get a used Honda or Toyota for now. Insurance will be cheap and maintenance should be minimal. Once you get established some then go ahead and get your nice car that's fun to drive. You will be glad in the long run. It sucks being broke all the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
At age 19 I purchased a used 1995 Mustang 5.0 in order to avoid debt. I highly suggest you listen to your father; once you're older you can thank him and reward yourself with a new mustang :wink:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I saw my first Mach 1 Mustang (69) and instantly fell in love, I was 13. I am now 58 and bought my 1st Mustang (new) a 2012 GT, my wife allowed me after getting back from Iraq, :grin:. Sometimes life gets in the way of things you want and you get delayed. My son joined the Army, went to Afghanistan, served 4 years and just before he got out, bought the car of his dreams (2012 Challenger SRT). You should listen to your dad right now. Get yourself going in life and out on your own. Save while at home. One day...probably sooner than you think, you'll be able to get what you want and it wont have to be a used one with any miles. You are young, be patient! :smile:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Nothing against owning a nice mustang, but this is your first car, id start off with a fox 5.0 or sn 95 til you can hone in your skills better. I know having that new awesome stang would be cool, but think practically. I dont personally know how you drive, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If you spend that kind of money on v6 right now, I can 100% guarantee you that in a few years you are going to regret it.

First off, it's your first car, you are going to mess things up on it, better to do it on a cheaper car. Second, eventually you are going to want the v8, save your money for that. Lastly, listen to your dad and what everyone is saying here, other people have had your experience already and have seen both sides of that decision. 95% of people would tell you to wait and get the cheaper car and save that money for the v8 later down the road when you can afford it and you've gotten some years driving experience under your belt.

When I was 18 I was incredibly close to gettting a 2000 mustang gt. My dad wouldn't let me or cosign with me, looking back, I'm incredibly grateful I didn't get it. Now I have two Mustangs I like better than that one, and I probably would have ruined that one anyways.

Also welcome to the site! Look at all the great advice you are getting, take it from them, look at the sweet cars they are all driving, they must've done something right!

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you're dead set on a Mustang I would suggest looking for one that is a little older....

·
Registered
2 Posts
DAD; is right do not buy a mustang for big dollars.... I have a 1999 honda with just over 200,000 miles and ir runs perfect.. Good on gas, no oil burning, no leaks, and it never let me down this past winter with temps below zero.. save your money, graduate from college.... THEN GO BUY A NICE CORVETTE...... FORGET MUSTANGS.... BECAUSE YOU WILL BE MAKING BIG BUCKS WITH YOUR EDUCATION..... GOOD LUCK..... JUST KIDDING BUY WHAT YOU WANT WHEN YOU CAN REALLY AFFORD IT... CARS WILL ALWAYS BE OUT THERE AND CHANGE ALL THE TIME .... YOUR EDUCATION IS YOUR # 1 JOB NOW...GET IT NOW.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you're dead set on a Mustang I would suggest looking for one that is a little older....
I agree if you are set on a Mustang at a affordable price then look at the 2005 to 2008 models in that price range of 6k. Most of them will have over 100k miles on them, but if you can find the right owner who took care of it, then that shouldn't matter. I found a '07 gt convertible for 10K and negotiated down to 8K. I saved prior to pay in cash so I wouldn't have to worry about payments.

Like most of the advice, getting a reliable car with good gas mileage and a good service history is definitely recommended though as a first car. I remember I wanted a Mustang at graduation, but settled for a Saturn. To this day, I am glad I made that decision, because of unforeseen expenses come up when your young. I still have my Saturn, AND now my Mustang, now that I am older and my fiances and expenditures are more predictable. I think I would have ended up in more trouble if I got a Mustang as my first car.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just curious but why does 100,000 miles sound bad to you? And since I am around your age as well I can promise you that you do not want to spend $20,000 on a car right now. Buy a 05-09 V6 or a 99-04 GT you will thank yourself later. You may get some flak for buying a V6 of the 05-09 since they aren't the most powerful but later in life you can always get another mustang, especially once you become financially stable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
208 Posts
Welcome to the site!

I agree 100% on waiting if you can. I am a serious gearhead, but I bit the bullet and drove a crappy tin box for my first few years of post-college independence. I was far better off financially in the long-term because of it. I finally bought my 2000 GT slightly used when I was 28, and my new 2013 5.0 for my 40th birthday.

If you absolutely must have one sooner than later, going by my own experience, I'd vote to take a long hard look at the '99-'04 GT models. They are plentiful, inexpensive, reliable, and downright cheap to run. Before I bought my new 5.0, I test drove a 2002 convertible GT with under 50,000 miles; they wanted something like $9,000, and that was at a dealer in 2013. I bet that today you could get a coupe in a private sale for much less. The 2005+ is a better, more modern chassis, but the '99-'04 is a great car, and I really loved my '00. Throw an aftermarket exhaust on it (if it doesn't have one already) and you're set for many miles of fun.

I am not sure if anyone mentioned this already, but at age 25 your insurance rates may drop like a rock (especially for a car like this).

Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Another thing to consider is that at 19 you don't have a lot of credit history. Whatever credit you have may be good and all, but I don't think it's enough for a bank or credit union to risk lending out $20k. And on the off chance someone is willing to lend you the cash, expect to pay a much higher interest rate.

I'd go w/ what dad has said. Buy something modest with the $6k, and save for a while.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That should get a nice early 2000's GT. You'll need the rest for insurance and gas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts