Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly getting ready to start work on my 66 again (now that I have a little spare $) and it just occured to me that I have no idea about what kinda specs the heads have.
Anyone know what the numbers on the stock "C" heads were? And what are the other "period" heads that could have been added? I ask because the car was originally a 2v, but sometime shortly thereafter got a (by the casting) shelby hi-rise alum. intake and 4v. I'm wondering if they might have swapped more than the manifold/carb in.
Any idas what codes/marks I should be looking for to figure out what heads the car actually has?

Thanks,
J

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:)Welcome back.Haven't seen you for a while.:)The 'C' codes and 'A' codes used the same heads.The only 289 heads that were different were the 'K' code heads.If you pull off a valve cover, you should see '289' cast in the top of the head.A dead give-away for sure. :gringreen The K code heads have screw-in rocker arm studs, instead of the pressed-in studs of the C code/A code.Also on the K code heads the valve springs are sitting down inside little machined pockets about 1/4 inch deep to keep them from scooting around at high rpms.The C code/A code heads don't have that.Also, a K code head will have either the # 19,20 or 21 cast in the corner of it.On the D/S it will be towards the front,the P/S has it towards the back, since there weren't left and right heads.Here's a picture of what and where it is from my ugly but very fast car.Hope that helps.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, how goes it? Yeah, I spent most of this year just fixing little things on the 93 and trying to save some money up :cool:
Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for.

Jorge

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.