Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, help me out....is this kit worth the money? I have not done any performance tunes yet, and am looking for a good first item to hit. I have read here that the exhaust changes do little other than sound (not including headers or getting rid of the cats). I don't hit the track (and don't know if I can with a convertible), and since I have had a bunch of speeding tickets in the past, the only thrill I have now is quick take-offs from lights, etc.

What do you see for HP gains with the C&L and the Diablo tune? I would be using the 87 octane program now that gas prices are through the roof.

How about factory warranty? I picked up the extended warranty to 70,000, and I hate to make it worthless by adding. The dealership near me has a bunch of #[email protected] working in the service department. I blasted the heck out of them on a survey and I get even worse service now. No other dealerships to go to within an hour's drive either :-(.

How much time does it take to switch back original if needed before taking into a dealership? Can they tell any tuning has been done if you reset it to factory?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
94 Posts
The C&L Intake is awesome, but Don't buy a diablo tuner, get a SCT Xcal 2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you've got the automatic, even that's worth it to firm-up the shifts and remove the throttle "lag". I've got a convertible too with the auto tranny and it's a night and day difference compared to stock. I don't have any input on the Diablosport tuner, but the Xcal2 works great with the C&L intake. Those are the only mods I've done so far and I have to say it was money very well spent.

It's also very, very easy to revert back to the stock tune... just plug in the tuner and choose "Return to Stock". It takes about a minute. Installing the C&L itself isn't much more difficult... took about a 30 minutes with only a couple sockets.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The C&L CAI is a very good addition. I have the Diablo Sport Predator for my tuning of the car. No problems with the DSP, so get the C&L w/the DSP as a package. C&L worked hard with Diablo to get it right. If this is your first tune effort, stay with their package. I have friends who have the SCT XI & XII. Both are good tuners (XII better than XI), but I prefer the DSP. It is a personal choice, so don't let some of us here push you one way or another. Call Lee at C&L and see what he thinks.

It is easy to go back to the factory tune with the DSP for dealer work (SCT II as well). It does take you a little time. You should not have to take the C&L CAI off the car unless you want to do that. Just be careful driving it there and don't push it since the tunes are designed to adjust for the added air flow. The CAI should not void a warranty, but to avoid problems with the As---les at your dealer, re-install the factory tune before taking it in. My dealer has no problems with any of my upgrades. Note...I have the Steeda CAI (Filter and MAF adaptor), but the C&L intake tube installed. Have fun!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Any guesses on your HP changes? Thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
First of all the only available tunes for the C&L are 91 and 93 octane.

I have been using the C&L intake and Diablosport since I received the car in mid April. This morning I decided to do a little testing since the car is now broken in.

I bought the standard u7140 Predator and downloaded the C&L tunes from the Diablosport website. This permits me to run with or without the C&L intake.

There are more advantages than just performance to the predator. I no longer feel any lag between stepping on the accelerator and the engine reacting.

Just to give you an idea I was at the track today and these are my results on stock tires.

Stock intake and stock tune 2.094 60ft. 13.757 @ 102.630 mph.
Stock intake and Diablo tune 2.041 60ft. 13.535 @ 104.577 mph.
C&L and Diablo 93 octane tune 1.954 60ft. 13.274 @ 107.453 mph.

On drag radials I ran a 13.053 @ 101.018 on the brakes.
I was trying not to break out since I was bracket racing .

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Odd Job... do a search... the C&L and the tuners have been up 100's of times... read some of the old posts and I'm sure you can make an educated decition!

For what it's worth I'd go with the JLT CAI and the X-Cal-II... or, C&L with the X-Cal-II, in that order... the Predator is good but the X is better, and for the same $$$ it should be a no brainer...?!?

·
Registered
897 Posts
kj_cinci said:
Odd Job... do a search... the C&L and the tuners have been up 100's of times... read some of the old posts and I'm sure you can make an educated decition!

For what it's worth I'd go with the JLT CAI and the X-Cal-II... or, C&L with the X-Cal-II, in that order... the Predator is good but the X is better, and for the same $$$ it should be a no brainer...?!?
I beg to differ I personally know of someone who is an X-Cal-II dealer who locked up a computer on his own 05 GT . The car was sent to a Ford dealer who was unable to get into the computer. It was then sent to SCT and no go. It took a new computer (2 weeks delivery) $1100.00 and a a couple of days of lost labor before the car was back on the road. Was it just a bad computer or was the X-Cal-II to blame?

I think a head to head comparisson is in order.

Anyone want to send me an X-Cal_2:hihi:

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I think it was a bad computer from the beginning... but you never know, the tuner can of course have been bad too!

It sounds kinda weird, like the computer in the car just locked up... otherwise you should be able to 'force' in the stock tune or any other saved tune!

Maybe there is a risk with the XC-II and how deep it goes...

G

·
My 2 cents.

I am very pleased with my Predator Tuner thus far. Every mod I have done so far has been tuned into the car with relative ease and no codes thrown or any down side issues.

The dyno shop I use have XCALII's for sale but, they really like my Predator and the latest mod of added more fuel from fuel tables for the header mod was a slam dunk.

I can't wait to get an ET on this Pony. Probably hafta wait till next spring. After I mod the CM deletes for another 10-15 rwhp.

·
Banned
128 Posts
I got the C&L with D/S. Got the elbo chromed to be different.

HP gains were good, but I think it forces you to use the 91 octane tune.
I can affor d the extra 3 dollars to fill up.

I took it a step further, and then had the a/f mix tweked untill it was perfect for my location.

very happy with the results. took my abutomatic from a constant 14.1 to a consstant 13.8.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Big difference from STOCK air to C&L CAI with Diablo. Diablo to me has a better customer Service and answers emails. I had emailed SCT a few times before buying the item. I am glad I bought the Diablo and would do it again.

Here is a little info , kinda off post

Was running the 87 octane with the C&L CAI and there Tune and on the interstate with cruise set getting 23.5 MPG, I switched over to the 93 octane and on the interstate the other day was getting 24.9 MPG at 70 MPH. ( Advance timming area...11% retard on the 2K-4K setting and 21.5% retard on the 4k-7k area. This was better than the -4 or -5 setting Global) On 87 settings the car would brake traction and maybe leave a little bit of tire on the road , but with the 93 octane it will leave about 40 to 60 feet and Chirp from 1st to 2nd. ( Auto Tranny)

Did not notice any knock in the engine when running 87 octane before the C&L and after adding the C&L had some knock at 5700 rpm and called C&L and spoke to LEE and he help me out on some testing and this is where I got the 11 and 21.5% not the -4 or -5 for the 87 OCtane.:kooky:

·
Registered
5 Posts
custom?

Has anyone gotten custom tuning done for the Predator?

Where?
How did it work out?
Cost?

thanx in advance :worship

·
Registered
62 Posts
wait so can you keep it at 87 octane or do you have to go higher? and if so is that true for every intake?

G

·
rideclassic2025 said:
wait so can you keep it at 87 octane or do you have to go higher? and if so is that true for every intake?
Predator offers 3 different tunes I recall, 87, 91 and 93 or so. I believe their is a latest revision to the Predator which I havent dl-ed as I heard it was for V-6's. Anyone else know the changes in the latest rev?
XCAL prolly does the same.
The Predator WITH C&L CAI is only offered with 93 octane. Honestly, why do 87 tune? It is a waste of money imo.

I know C&L will custom build a tune for you if you send them your mods and requested tune goals. I haven't dont it yet as I am pleased with the standard C&L/ MAF tune. According to my dyno guy, it is very aggressive and I don't think it can be much improved on with stock engine.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
thump_rrr said:
I beg to differ I personally know of someone who is an X-Cal-II dealer who locked up a computer on his own 05 GT . The car was sent to a Ford dealer who was unable to get into the computer. It was then sent to SCT and no go. It took a new computer (2 weeks delivery) $1100.00 and a a couple of days of lost labor before the car was back on the road. Was it just a bad computer or was the X-Cal-II to blame?

I think a head to head comparisson is in order.

Anyone want to send me an X-Cal_2:hihi:
Hi again, heard about this issue in the shop today... they had never seen a S197 locked up this bad but it happened back in the days with the chip tuning... also if you're not carefull with the key/plugg-in sequense it may lock up but has this far always opened for a new tune again...

BBR had Diablo tune their car and got good power... then for giggles and kicks they brought it to SCT... guess who they are using now...?? :rolleyes: SCT! There is also people with 'untunable issues' who give up and try the SCT unit with much better luck... I have never heard about anybody going from SCT to Diablo...?? (Disclaimer: I know a couple of guys got the Predator for data logging and error codes but still used the X-Cal-1 for tuning... and as you knw there is no need for that anymore with the X-Cal-2...)

And no, again, I'm not sponsored by SCT I'm just forwarding information from the guys in the know how... :winks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts