Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have asked before which CAI to go with and not use a tune and then my dad talked me out of it because of messing with the factory warranty.
So now I am doing my research and have decided to go with a CAI that can be installed now without a tune and switched out for the factory intake if warranty work is needed. I also think it will be good to have to option to have the removable insert so later down the road when I want more power :) (just what I need) it will be already there and just require a tune. Both C&L and Airaid make this kind of intake and I wanted to know which is more recommended or if anyone else has experience with these types of "removable insert" CAI. Thanks for your responses!

I have a 2009 Mustang GT, 5-speed, that is currently stock

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I used the AirRaid when i got my 05GT and it worked pretty good for not needing a tuner. Though once i got the tuner and took the venturi out, could definitely feel the power. Later though, i took it off for a JLT CAI.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
i just sent my jlt back because it stated i would need to tune with a different tuner than my predator. Dude i was like distraught i have been moping around all day:mesad:

·
Registered
833 Posts
So I have asked before which CAI to go with and not use a tune and then my dad talked me out of it because of messing with the factory warranty.
So now I am doing my research and have decided to go with a CAI that can be installed now without a tune and switched out for the factory intake if warranty work is needed. I also think it will be good to have to option to have the removable insert so later down the road when I want more power :) (just what I need) it will be already there and just require a tune. Both C&L and Airaid make this kind of intake and I wanted to know which is more recommended or if anyone else has experience with these types of "removable insert" CAI. Thanks for your responses!

I have a 2009 Mustang GT, 5-speed, that is currently stock
I think it is the C and L Street that has this option with the 'no tune insert'. I have the Street without insert and a Bama tune and highly recommend it. So, go with it with the insert now and upgrade to the tuned option down the road.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I installed the Airaid in my GT and ran it without a tune for 6 months and I was more than happy with it. It fits like a factory unit and is very high quality in materials, fit and finish. I run with a tune now and I have no plans to go with a different one.

FWIW, Airaid make the CAI for Roush and in fact they are identical except for the name printed on them. If they are good enough for Jack Roush they are good enough for me!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the responses, C&L has a nice web page with a full explanation of their testing and dyno charts with their different filters, as an engineer it makes me happy to see graphs:laughlitt. Now the C&L is about $50 more than the Airaid so any suggestions on where to find one cheaper?

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
thanks for the responses, C&L has a nice web page with a full explanation of their testing and dyno charts with their different filters, as an engineer it makes me happy to see graphs:laughlitt. Now the C&L is about $50 more than the Airaid so any suggestions on where to find one cheaper?
Try Tillman Speed one of our site sponsors. Make sure your a member here.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Check sponsors' websites as well as the classifides. Lots of times you can find a good deal on a used CAI .

·
Registered
172 Posts
Can you please describe the insert. How easy is it to add or remove? Would I have to take the CAI assembly off to add it or remove it? More over, if I am broken down on the side of the road, could I add the insert and retune my Mustang before the tow truck takes my car to the dealership?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Can you please describe the insert. How easy is it to add or remove? Would I have to take the CAI assembly off to add it or remove it? More over, if I am broken down on the side of the road, could I add the insert and retune my Mustang before the tow truck takes my car to the dealership?
If you're operating w/o the insert before you break down, I don't understand why you would want to install it and retune before going to the dealership :headscratch:. I'm not sure that I understand what you're asking.

Am I missing something here, or did I just have too much "eggnog" tonight? :chug_a_lug:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am guessing you are asking because a tune would void your warranty and you would want to flash the car back to the stock tune before the dealer gets their hands on it. The insert does take some work to remove, just the mass air flow sensor and cone air filter have to be removed to remove or install the insert that will allow you to drive without the tune. i would think in 10 minutes or less you could do the switch

·
Registered
138 Posts
jasonpell is correct. However, I do believe the job will take a little longer than 10 minutes...especially at night,in the rain with a flashlight under your chin! :rollgrin:

·
Registered
29 Posts
My personal opinion...save yourself time and money down the road and get the C&L racer along with a tuner of some kind up front. With the Predator (what I have) the stock tune is swapped out for the "canned" tune. If you need to go the the dealer just put the stock tune back in along with your stock intake if thats your plan. Doesnt take a whole lot longer and the future gains with the C&L are impressive.

·
Registered
677 Posts
where is this "insert" and what does it look like--

·
Registered
15 Posts
The insert looks like a smaller piece of tubing that fits within the overall CAI tubing. You won't be able to miss it. My MVT practically fell out when I took it out of the box.

To the original OP--you can't go wrong with either CAI. I was split between C&L, the FRPP, and the Roush (Airaid) CAI. In the end I went with the Roush for the fit and finish. I was not disappointed...it was a great product combined with a Brenspeed tune!:gringreen

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just recently got an Airaid CAI for my 06 GT and would like to get a programmer that will work the best with it. I have been looking at the Diablo Sport Predator but now I'm beginning to wonder if there is one that works better with the Airaid. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
91 Posts
i am guessing you are asking because a tune would void your warranty and you would want to flash the car back to the stock tune before the dealer gets their hands on it. The insert does take some work to remove, just the mass air flow sensor and cone air filter have to be removed to remove or install the insert that will allow you to drive without the tune. i would think in 10 minutes or less you could do the switch

Either way you go, you are still making a mod to the car which can still void your warranty. Anything beyond factory installed or factory authorized installed is questionable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts