Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

C&L or Ford Racing Cold Air Intake?

12K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  hotshot 
#1 ·
Hey!

I want to start doing some modifications to my 2008 GT and basically the first changes I've seen are CAI and Exhaust. I plan on upgrading the CAI first.

I have 2 in mind: C&L or Ford Racing.

From what I have seen, C&L out-performs the FR CAI but the FR won't void the factory warranty. Ford claims 20 hp and C&L claims 30 hp (peak).

There is a $60 difference in favor of the FR and the tuner comes straight from them.

I plan on upgrading to a super charger when the warranty runs out.

What are your experiences with either? Has anyone with a C&L had problems getting warranty repairs done on their car?

Is 10 hp worth losing warranty and $60?

Below are the links to each CAI:
05-08 Mustang GT C&L Air Induction System

Ford Racing Performance Parts [M-9603-GTB***]

See less See more
#3 ·
#5 ·
#7 ·
The problem with the FRPP CAI and tuner is that their tuner is not as useful as an SCT Tuner. When and if you want to upgrade your rear gears in the future, the Ford tuner will not calibrate your speedometer like the SCT can. Something to think about when purchasing a tuner. :scratchchin

#11 ·
+1 I have this setup with a Brenspeed tune and I am extremely pleased with it!

It felt more like a 100 HP gain than the ~30 it really is.

#12 ·
+1 on Steeda and SCT, but be wary of on sale CAI from a Ford dealer. I got a great deal on one and it turned out to be an early 2005 version that was not compatible with my MAF. It had a smaller diameter MAF housing than normal. Had to replace it all, but am really happy now.

#13 ·
I went with a C&L intake (the metal one, not the racer one) and their tune, and I'm happy with it. For what it's worth! My C&L came with a Diablosport Predator tuner, which I'm also happy with. However, (I think) the consensus is that the SCT tuner is superior.

#14 ·
I have a FRPP CAI. The newer Bullitt style for 2008. Combined with the FRPP tune it was good for 277 rwhp and 297 rwtq on my 2008 gt manual. I ended up with a Brenspeed tuned X3 which really woke it up. At some point Ford is going to include the new pro cal tool which has provisions for changing gears and tires with the CAI.

You mentioned SC. If you are already thinking of it you will probably follow through. I was right where you are when I bought my GT. Less than 6 months later I have a Whipple coming. I could of put all the CAI and UDP money towards the SC if I had thought it through better.

Attachments

#15 ·
I have JLT II intake but its just about the same as the C&L intake in terms of how much HP you get. The bullitt i was looking in to beforehand for the same reasons. In all due honesty, if the warranty worries you, you can flash the PCM back and re-install the box within 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.