Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished install and custom tune and holy s***. Car is a great deal quicker and sounds totally meaner. Would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of a first or second mod all I need now is stickier tires. Thinking about Nitto 555 extremes any comments? :eyepoppin Lee at C & L says car picks up about 30 rwhp than stock.

·
Registered
767 Posts
When you say "custom tune" do you truly mean a custom tune done at a dyno shop or a custom email tune or a canned C&L tune? If it is truly a custom dyno tune post your dyno sheet. Would be interested to see the cruve.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean a custom e-mail tune haven't had a chance to get to dyno yet not alot in my area. Also just installed saleen short throw shifter block ($29) makes huge difference much stiffer and cleaner.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Also just installed saleen short throw shifter block ($29) makes huge difference much stiffer and cleaner.
Did one of those a couple of weeks ago. Probably the best $29 spent on the car that wasn't 104 octaine :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have any problems getting both bushings into block? after 1hr settled with 1 instead of both.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
hawgman said:
Did one of those a couple of weeks ago. Probably the best $29 spent on the car that wasn't 104 octaine :)
That much of an improvement eh. Hmm I may think about this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Saleen and C&LCAI question

How hard is the Saleen shifter to install?

Also, while it seems to make a bigger difference for the auto trans, can I assume a CAI and Tune for those of us with a manual is also significant? I've narrowed it down to a JLT II or C&L with a Brenspeed Tune. I've heard they are the manual experts.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Did you have any problems getting both bushings into block? after 1hr settled with 1 instead of both.
Didn't have any trouble at all with the bushings. Only problems I had was with Saleen and their crappy shipping department. Took a month to get the part after they actually called me to say it had shipped.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Stoenr said:
That much of an improvement eh. Hmm I may think about this.
Actually, yea it was. Even my tuner commented on it. Went over to the dyno shop a couple of weeks ago and after the first pull he asked me what kind of shifter I put in it. When I told him what it was and how much it cost he couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Preacher said:
How hard is the Saleen shifter to install?

Also, while it seems to make a bigger difference for the auto trans, can I assume a CAI and Tune for those of us with a manual is also significant? I've narrowed it down to a JLT II or C&L with a Brenspeed Tune. I've heard they are the manual experts.
It is not actually a "shifter", it is an adaptor piece that bolts to the bottom of the shifter rod where the linkage supposed to go. It lengthens the bottom side of the rod changing the angle of the pivot point, thus changing the throw on the top side of the pivot point. It reduced the throw between 1st and 2nd to about 3 inches at the very most. Plus it firmed up the shifting. Made it slightly notchy which is exactly what I wanted. Now you know for a fact when you hit a gear.

As for a CAI and tune, yes, does not matter what kind of transmission you have. It is going to improve your performance. You are going to get better improvement with a true custom tune done at a dyno shop than you are going to get with a canned tune or an email tune. That is not to say anything bad about an email tune. Just saying that there is only so much that someone can do for you without actually seeing how the car responds to the parameter changes and solely depending on the word of the car owner for feedback. What you "think" feels best may not actually be the best for the car. As for the brand of CAI, I will tell you the same thing I tell everyone else, just go with whatever one you feel the best about. As you can see by my signature file, I have a hybrid setup, and specific opinions about certain CAIs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
hawgman said:
It is not actually a "shifter"....
Thanks for the info, hawgman. My challenge is I live in Phippsburg, Maine which most likely means I need to drive two hours to Boston, Mass to find a reputable tuner. It's great living in the boonies most of the time, but not when you are trying to find a reputable Mustang performance shop.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Preacher said:
Thanks for the info, hawgman. My challenge is I live in Phippsburg, Maine which most likely means I need to drive two hours to Boston, Mass to find a reputable tuner. It's great living in the boonies most of the time, but not when you are trying to find a reputable Mustang performance shop.
Hey Preacher,
I feel your need for a shop nearby. I have the steeda cai w/ predator diablo tuner w/ steeda tune. The closest place I've found is new england dyno in Worcester. I plan to go there in the near future for a dyno tune. I've only got udp's, 4.10's, cai, axle backs and upgraded via friends PC diablo tune. I had to drop the idle 1K after I installed the upgrade though. That's why I want the dyno tune. I hate the way it shifts at low speed w/the auto. Good luck :winks

·
Registered
74 Posts
sonny1213 said:
Hey Preacher,
I feel your need for a shop nearby. I have the steeda cai w/ predator diablo tuner w/ steeda tune. The closest place I've found is new england dyno in Worcester. I plan to go there in the near future for a dyno tune. I've only got udp's, 4.10's, cai, axle backs and upgraded via friends PC diablo tune. I had to drop the idle 1K after I installed the upgrade though. That's why I want the dyno tune. I hate the way it shifts at low speed w/the auto. Good luck :winks
Thanks for the info, Sonny. Worcester is not a huge drive, but it still would take me 2.5 hours. Let me know how it turns out. I don't mind paying a little more or driving a little further if the place is reputable and does good quality work.

Black06,
I've never heard anything bad about C&L's CAIs. Isn't the only difference between the Street and Racer the material? I thought the Racer was some type of plastic and the Street was metal. In fact, they were one of the top-rated CAIs in 5.0 Mustang and Fast Fords CAI comparison.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I read somewhere that the racer flowed a lot better and would not make as much power as the regular C&L unless other flow mods (exhaust, porting, etc.) were done. I don't have a CAI yet, and considering a C&L or a K&N FIPK

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't have any other mods just yet but, I didn't want to buy another CAI when I do heads or anything else.I'm looking hard into kook long tube headers as so as i recoop from xmas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts