Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just providing some head's up to those who may buy a racer version. There is not a problem with the design to don't take it that way. The problem is in how I installed it.

I was driving home one day and the car started to run like crap. I limped home and found that the Metal portion with the air sensor had fallen off the tube. I guess I should have checked the clamps after it warmed up....

I tightened all the clamps really tight.

The other day, it started running funny. I took the plastic hose off the intake and noticed that the end that mates with the intake was distorted. I had tightened it up so much that when it got hot, it warped. I fixed it by warming it up in boiling water and then gently applied pressure until it went back to its original shape.

The moral of the story:

Wash the parts well before installation to remove any oil film.

Tighten the clamps on the plastic ends snugly but no more. The clamps on the metal ends could be tightened a bit more.

Check once it has gone through a heating and cooling cycle.

Ride like hell

·
Registered
635 Posts
Would thread locker work with metal scews into plastic???

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's early so I may be sleepy but I don't get your question. The hose clams hold everything together. My problem was that at first, I did not have it snug enough and then I overtightened the clamp. You can sure put a lot of torque on a hose clamp!

·
Registered
277 Posts
good advice, having just installed the same system and finding a problem with idle I would also suggest the following:
Before you install this or any other CAI clean your throttle body!!! My car ran perfectly well with the stock airbox, however after installing the new CAI I had idle/stalling problems..thx to stl the problem was rectified through a good clean of the TB which I actually thought was pretty clean..It's apparent that the CAI's are more sensitive to dirt build up..you have it apart anyway so take the five extra minutes to keep it out including the edges of the butterflies..will save you taking it all back apart like I had too..having had this problem, and I'm pretty sure others have had the same, I'm not sure why it isn't part of the install instructions..

·
Registered
450 Posts
This quote is from the Loctite Industrial web page, for 242 Thread locker.

"This product is not normally recommended for use on plastics
(particularly thermoplastic materials where stress cracking of
the plastic could result). Users are recommended to confirm
compatibility of the product with such substrates"

I accidently used Loctite with a plastic part (it was a hard plastic) and it caused the part to crumble. I'd be really careful.:bigthumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.