Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 1965 GT that was rebodied into a 1966. Recently while driving, I noticed that it would kind of stutter when starting from the stopped position. Once going, it seems to shift fine from 1st to 2nd gear, however when it should shift to 3rd, it just revs up and doesnt shift. Any insight on what the problem might be? I am hoping that I will not have to rebuild or replace the transmission and hope that it might be a small problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fluid level seems to be fine. It is showing full on the dipstick. There doesnt seem to be any discoloration or burning smell neither. It did have a small leak at the pan, but I retightened the bolts and that solved that problem, but the shift problems still happen. It also seems to get worse as the car heats up...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Well,
If you checked the fluid level while the engine is idling in Park and it shows full then tell me this:
Does it work ok in reverse? If reverse has problems too then it is probably the direct clutches failing.
If Reverse works (I am thinking it does) then the forward clutches are bad or the apply piston seals are hard and cracked. Either way it sounds like a rebuild.
You could pull the valve body and make sure each valve is free in its bore but I doubt you will find anything there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it works just fine in reverse. Yeah I figured it was probably a rebuild I was just hoping for the best. Thanks for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.