Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 Mustang with a 200 6 cylinder engine which I took out and am replacing with a high performance 289. After several attempts to install, the mechanic says the engine can't be hooked up to the C4 and that I need to change the transmission.He claims there are two types of C4 transmission and the new engine needs the different transmission, that mine cannot be attached. I don't know much about this and I'm beginning to doubt that the mechanic knows what he is doing. Is he correct in his observation? I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but i need more information. Any help would be useful.Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,879 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

I’m sure someone will jump in soon with an answer.

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
Most of the internals for an I6 vs. a V8 transmission should be the same but there will be differences. As I recall the splines changed in '68 so if your engine is a later year there's that. The third issue is that the I6 had considerable less torque and power so the tranny is not set up for that. Fourth, if the tranny is on its original clutches it may be time for a rebuild anyway.

I suggest that you find a local transmission shop and have a discussion. Looking online high power rebuilds can be purchased in the $1500 range. Better to buy local though. Don't make the expensive mistake that I did.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts