Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first of all I have a 68 Mustang 289 with a C4. It has been over reving going into 3rd so I changed the fluid and replaced the vacuum modulator and checked vacuum and no difference. I was told to adjust the intermediate band. Ok no problem, got the manual, looks easy enough I have played with cars my whole life (but never transmissions).

So I set it for 10 ft lbs and back off 1 3/4 turns. It runs worse now. Tried 1 1/2 and same thing. It's really hard getting it into 3rd now, revs very high and takes forever to shift. So here is my question, I have been adjusting and driving for a couple of hours now with no luck. Which way should I be adjusting it? Does it sound like it needs to be tightened or loosened? It has to be the adjustment because it's the only thing I touched. I would at least like to get back to what it was if I can't fix it all together.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It sounds like the transmission is getting worn. You mught be able to continue to tighten the band adjustment until it is better, but it will cause that band to wear faster. I would suggest a rebuild:), sorry for that news!

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is not the band. The IM band adjustment affects how hard it holds 2nd gear. The relase of the band is via the servo piston. If you ar certain the vacuum is good then the problem is the reverse high clutch. It needs to come out. The longer you let it rev the worse it will get.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.