Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was curious what the difference between is between a C4 and a C6 transmission. I have a Straight 6 250 as well as 2 200's with transmissions attached to them how do I tell if it is a C4 or C6?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
C6 tranny pan looks like the state of utah kinda the c4 is a square shape.The c6 was used in big blocks and the Cleveland/Modified engines never any inline 6 ever.Short answer its a c4 a c6 won't bolt on a inline 6.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The C4 has a separate bellhousing, C6 it's part of the trans. I really doubt that you'll ever see a C6 transmission mounted to the Ford "small" inline six. They are found on the truck inline sixes, which are larger engines dimensionally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
C6 tranny pan looks like the state of utah kinda the c4 is a square shape.The c6 was used in big blocks and the Cleveland/Modified engines never any inline 6 ever.Short answer its a c4 a c6 won't bolt on a inline 6.
not always true.... they do use a c6 tranny on a 300cu inline 6 and a 302 v8....and ya its in a truck...

·
Registered
582 Posts
The C6 trans definitely will NOT fit up to a 200 CID, but it MIGHT fit onto the 250. I've not tried that combination, but, since the 250 engine uses the small block V8 bell housing, I would not see why the small block version of the C6 could not be adapted. All that palaver being said, IMHO, I see no reason to make the C6/250 CID engine combination. The tranny is a power robbing monster best used behind high torque power plants used for heavy towing. The 250 really doesn't have any horses to spare; in fact, I see no good reason why the 250 would be used in place of the 200 or the 302-5.0 engines. It has the power of a six with the economy of a V8.
Best,
Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts