Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well group

After spending $600.00 for t-5, $470.00 matching clutch/pressure plate and billit solid steel flywheel from Sacramento Mustangs and $320.00 for Clutch Cable kit and the better steel retainer from Modern Driveline we are ready to do the swap. We are going to remove a tricked out C4 and replace with the T-5 soon. Hope the articles on this swap were truthful. I've downloaded everything I could find on the net and we have compared the articles. The first drawback we saw is that my power booster on my master cylinder may have to be replaced with a small stock unit or discarded all together becaise right now I don't have the $135.00 for the small stock booster. I drove the 69 for 30 years without power brakes. Will have to rebuild some calf muscles I guess. Modern Drivelines parts and instruction are great. We will be able to fabracate the cross member T-5 support. Larry and Nick of Neville Brothers are super with a welder and a wrench. We may not have to shorten the driveline. Now to find the time as other projects are completed. Will let you know how the project goes as we get it done, maybe some pictures as time allows.

Wrench on
Jess

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just finished doing my T-5 Swap last weekend. I finished it in a day but not without any drawbacks. The yoke that one of those conversion kit provides isn't a good match for the stock driveshaft Universal Joint (Spicer). It leaves about an inch of play room on the Universal Joint for the Driveshaft and that can't be good. So I tried to put the original Yoke in but that wouldn't fit into the T-5. The Driveshaft don't look like it needs to be shortened, which is a very good news but I am not sure what to do about the yoke problem. And a heads up, you will need to cut the shifter opening on the tunnel. An inch to the front and a little tward the right side.
You don't really need one of those Cable Clutch conversoin kits. I simply bought a '87 mustang clutch cable from Autozone for $30 and modified my Clutch padel to have an extension with a hole for a screw and then modified one end of the clutch cable to adapt to that extension and for the firewall support, you can simply get a 4 guage L shaped sheet metal and modify that to mount on the Cowl to firewall joint. The other end of the clutch cable should fit right into the tranny if you are using a T-5 Bellhousing and a T-5 Clutch fork. No modification needed there.
I am excited to hear how your swap turns out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sgt__Stang

Will write more after we get it done but the yoke you need is the yoke that will fit a C4 that was used during the 60s and early 70s. If that is what you are using then you don't have the right T-5. On your T-5 there is a metal tag, if you can give me the number that starts with 1352 I will tell you if you have a T-5 that you need.

Jess

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm planning a t5 conversion for my 69 Mustang, that is if I ever find a clutch. Please keep me advised as to your progress.

Hope to contact you when I start my conversion.

Have a great day.

David

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C4 to T-5

SGT_Stang if you are still out there and Mel of Newfoundland Fame

Well it has been over a year and the process of picking up all the parts for the total conversion is over and on Friday April 6th 2007 at 3:00pm we hooked up the cable, bled the brakes, fired up the War Horse and terrorized the locals for about 30 minutes Slapping that 5 speed for all it was worth. God what a thrill. Now I know the other way I want to die, then headed to the old homestead. After that 30 minutes of terrorizing the trannie terrorized me on the 15 minute drive home plus the tach wouldn't swing. Clutch hung up twice and then as I pulled into the driveway hung a third time. Parked the puppy and went to Good Friday Service at church, then after spent hours on the internet trying to figure out tach and clutch hang problems. Not much help. So this morning emailed Bruce Couture of Modern Driveline who fabbed the cable clutch for any ideas. It has been over a year since I bought his unit. Hopefully he will get back to me sometime early nest week. Found the wireing diagram of my Auto Meter Tach, now to check it out.

Wrench on guys
Jess
69 War Horse

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.