Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebuilding a C4 tranny that has '70 internals and torque converter. That means the input shaft has 26 splines on each end.

So I can insert the shaft in either way. However, the length of the splines is different on each end; so it must go in one specific way.

Does anyone know if the shorter or londer end goes into the transmission?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Isn't there a speedo cable gear cut into the shaft? Surely that only aligns with the cable position in one direction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't there a speedo cable gear cut into the shaft? Surely that only aligns with the cable position in one direction.
That is on the output shaft, at the back of the tranny. I'm talking about the input shaft goes into the torque convertor and through the front pump.

Since it is the same number of splines, it fits in either way :-(

·
Registered
491 Posts
The Haynes manual shows the input shaft with what appears to be a bushing boss about 2/3 the way down the shaft. If you look at the shaft and hold the splines furthest away from the bushing boss, install the other splines into the tranny. Or, the shortest section of the shaft installs into the pump depending on your perspective. Also it looks like the splines are shorter on the end that go into the pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Haynes manual shows the input shaft with what appears to be a bushing boss about 2/3 the way down the shaft. If you look at the shaft and hold the splines furthest away from the bushing boss, install the other splines into the tranny. Or, the shortest section of the shaft installs into the pump depending on your perspective. Also it looks like the splines are shorter on the end that go into the pump.
Thanks for looking that up.
Not sure what a bushing boss is. There are two bushings in the front pump stator that the shaft rides in. I don't recall an oil hole or anything in the shaft. I will look closer at the shaft.
Short end in first, seems to be what I expected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts