Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;
I have a C4 with a 289/271 HP. unknown history. The engine runs fine but the transmission has a gigantic leak. It was dry when i checked it.Put in about 3 quarts of fluid and when i put it in gear it threw up all the fluid within 20 seconds.
It is on jack stands and the leak appears to be cominfg from the top passenger side. Maybe on the top of the circular cover (pump cover?) but the way it dumps it seems too high of volume. The PO put on a Locar braided dip stick and it is moist but again the volume of fluid tells me it probably isn't there.
Put on a new pan gasket and it is fine. Leak is higher.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dave:headscratch:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
If the leak appears to be from the upper middle of the passenger side, it could be the fittings for the cooling lines that run to the radiator. If it's not leaking from there, it's coming from the vent on top of the housing. If it's leaking from the vent, the fluid level may be too high because the dipstick isn't marked correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Transmission leak

Greek;
Thanks! Hate to admit this but.............................
Like I said "history Unknown" I crawled under to check the cooling line fittings and there weren't any cooling lines! No wonder it could pump out so much fluid so fast!
Just to be sure, the front 1/4" fitting is out to the radiator and the rear 1/4" fitting that is a 90 degree is the return?
http://www.charlietranny.com/C4wobellps.JPG
New to Fords - a GM convert!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Greek;
Thanks! Hate to admit this but.............................
Like I said "history Unknown" I crawled under to check the cooling line fittings and there weren't any cooling lines! No wonder it could pump out so much fluid so fast!
Just to be sure, the front 1/4" fitting is out to the radiator and the rear 1/4" fitting that is a 90 degree is the return?
http://www.charlietranny.com/C4wobellps.JPG
New to Fords - a GM convert!
Thanks
Dave,
Yes, the front tube is out and the rear fitting is the return.
Keep in mind that you have to fill and check the fluid in the C4 with the engine idling in Park. It would be good to add a large cooler to the transmission in addition to the radiator cooler too.
Just run the front line to the radiator, from the other side of the radiator to the new cooler and then from the other side of the new cooler to the rear line.
The "ideal" temp for the C4 is 160- 170 F. Anything above 120 F is OK and anything higher than 180 is robbing the transmission of life. Over 250 F will rapidly destroy the C4.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
You can buy an in-line adapter and a temp gauge or put a sender in the pan. The in-line adapter goes in the front cooler line and you can install it yourself. The one for the pan is either welded into the pan or you buy a cast pan with a fitting and connect your gauge for it.
I prefer the pan mounted sender but the in-line one will give a fair measurement of the temps too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts