Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I have posted three pictures of a part that fell out of the C4 transmission screen while I am replacing the shift lever mechanism. As I was removing the screen from the transmission this small part, about 1/2 inch long and the head is about 1/8 inch in diameter, fell out. It is stainless steel, the picture makes it look black rather than shiny. I never like to have strange parts, especially from a transmission, left over. I have looked at my ford shop manual and can not identify it. I would like some help on identifying this part as well as where is goes or if it will be OK to button up the transmission once I get the gear lever replaced. Thanks.

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
I'm no good with transmissions but surely someone here will know... be patient and someone will get you covered.

Cheers!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I will. This is a great place to exchange information and there are a lot of very nice and smart folks here. I can wait. Take care.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
It is a 1974 transmission. I am thinking that it must be some part that was there from the beginning. I was on my creeper removing the screws from the filter and when I slowly removed the filter and tilted it a bit to drain off the fluid that is when I heard the part fall into my pan that I had on the garage floor to catch all the trans fluid. I looked around and did not see anything that looked like a part fell out so that is why I am confused. I also looked at all my trans diagrams and do not see anything like it listed. Perhaps it is just one of those mysteries. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greetings,
I have found out that the part, along with a spring, is called a "band anchor". It needs to be installed back where it came from and that is my new problem, where did it come from? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now the person who claimed it was a band anchor is having second thoughts. No wonder I am confused and I don't know what I am doing.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I've found that same part in the C6 transmission pan to my 78 LTDII. I too don't know what it is and was driving the car without it :)kooky:) but the exploded diagram of my transmission in my shop manual has a part and a spring that looks just like it and it is something for a governor.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Lizer,
My part and spring look just like your pictures. I am going to see if I can solve this issue once and for all and when I do I will post what the solution was. Are you driving the car even though this part and spring are missing? Does the transmission run normally?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:kooky:

I finally solved my issue. The spring and plunger that fell out when I was removing the main valve body assembly is called the "manual valve detent plunger and spring". It is held in place with a retainer pin that for some reason is missing. Because it is missing it allowed the spring and plunger to fall out as I was maneuvering it out of the transmission case so I could replace the manual lever. Now the question is: where can I obtain the pin to hold the spring and plunger in? I hope anyone else who has this issue finds the solution beneficial.

:heha:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad it helps. Here is the link where I discovered the solution last night. You can see the spring sticking out of the valve body. I do not know what happened to the retaining pin and I am searching now for the part. Perhaps a trip to a transmission shop is in order because I don't believe the pin is that unique or expensive.
The link:C4 Valve body service and modifications | ClassicBroncos.com Tech Articles

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I don't find the words 'manual valve detent' or even the word 'detent' in the link you provide.

The manual valve detent plunger simply holds the manual valve shift mechanism so that it doesn't change gear positions whenever it feels like it. To do that it has a tapered end that fits into the detents machined on the manual valve: one detent for each gear selection from L to P. I see no such tapered end so I am not convinced that the part you show is a detent plunger. Without the detent plunger the transmission input selector manual valve would not stay in any gear position. You would feel no gear positions; the shift lever would just move smoothly back and forth.

If it is the manual valve detent plunger and spring then its held in the valve body with a simple roll pin although a fairly small roll pin for the earlier C4s. Roll pins are available at your local hardware store.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Greetings,
The wording I used "manual valve detent plunger and spring" came from my Ford shop manual. The diagram also shows a roll pin to secure the spring in place. Sorry for any confusion on my part. Here are some pictures of my valve body, the location where the spring and plunger goes and how the tab on the filter screen covers the assembly.
Thank you for the nice explanation on the transmission. :worship

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I must apologize for using the wrong wording. I went back to my shop manual and the spring and "plug" that I mentioned was for something the goes on the top side of the main valve assembly, not on the side with the filter screen. I re-read the wording about removing the filter and the book references a figure that shows the shift lever and does not mention anything about the spring and "plunger (?)" that is located under the tab on the filter frame. My luck that there is some wording missing in the book. Any way: the pictures are correct and the link I provided illustrates the issue very nicely. I thank everyone who replied and I have learned quite a bit. The members of this forum are very knowledgable.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks like a roll pin is required, which I purchased one from a nice seller on eBay the other day. The new filter that I want to install has the tab that covers the spring but the gauge of the metal used for the tab is so thin that when I go to bolt it down the spring is strong enough to bend it. The original filter tab is much thicker, everything is being made cheaper. I would be willing to pay a bit more for a better constructed filter. Here are some pictures of the valve body showing where the spring and "plunger" goes. You can see the slot milled into the body where I believe the roll pin goes. You can see where the filter tab covers the spot for the spring and "plunger".

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
Glad you're getting it figure out... "mystery" or "extra" parts are always troublesome lol.
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
That spring and valve ( pin ) is the pressure limit valve in a C4. It is held into the valve body by the tab on the filter. These are lost many times as people do not expect them to come out when the filter is dropped. It needs to be installed to have line pressure correct. These are used on '70 up C4 transmissions. If your filter has a part that sticks out ( tab ), then you have this spring and valve.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts