Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding my pre 1970 C4 transmission. Is there any online guides that go over the rebuild in great detail? This is not the first time I have been inside a transmission, but a first on a C4. I want to make sure it right before I put it together.

If there are not any online guides then what book would I want to uses? ( title ) Because of the year of the transmission I am having a hard time finding a book on the older C4 transmissions.

Any thing will help.

thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
My 67 shop manual ( reprint available at most mustang parts places ) has a section on complete overhaul of the c4 and other transmissions that were available for the car.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The Ford service manual is a great resource for sure. Also, I bought a copy of the Haynes manual #10355 which is very detailed and thorough, you may want to check it out. It is ISBN 1563924242 and called Ford Automatic Transmission Overhaul.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
if a person is to rebuild their own C4 (I have a 1966) tranny, how much would be a reasonable budget for parts? $500? $750?

Normal wear parts and complete new gasket sets are available from places like Fatsco and Transtar for about $120, basic kits are less, around $90. For your price of $750 I could have a local shop rebuild it.......with a shift kit!

I was planning on rebuilding the C4 in my 68 when the time comes. I bought a Ford tranny book plus I have the 68 shop manual reprint. I've heard too many horror stories about tranny shops around here and haven't had any GOOD recommendations. I've never rebuilt a tranny before but I would welcome the challenge, even people rebuilding them had to start sometime. I'm mechanical by nature and build and service robots and automation systems for the plastic injection molding field. There is a person on here, Paul, who is an expert on these trannys, I forgot his exact username. I was going to ask him specifically what tools are needed. I have all the basics plus a few pairs of snap ring pliers and I do have a 1/4" drive in-lb torque wrench for adjusting the bands. Don't know what else is needed or something that he might recommend, not afraid to buy tools, that's just a side addiction of this car hobby! ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
One thing to remember is to flush the trans cooler and lines with a transmission flush to remove any contaminants from there. Also replace the torque converter. You should be able to rebuild it yourself for less than $250 with all the above mentioned items. I rebuilt the one in my parents '65 and followed the steps in the Mustang and Fords article, it was easy!!

·
Registered
669 Posts
https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.aspx?Transmission=C-4/C-5

Not a rebuild but a helpful diagram. Click on the part to get a close-up view. These guys helped me so much when I rebuilt my wife's Windstar. A real PIA, never get a FWD car with a AX4N transmission. Taurus's and Windstar's are not a favorite of mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts