Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car sets for a long while 2-3 months and than I have to put 3-4 qts of type F in to drive it.If I don't let it set over a2-3 weeks there's no problem.I know the fix would be to not let the car set,but thats hard sometimes.I've been told that there is a seal on the shift shaft that drys and causes this and that this can be replaced without going into the transmittion.Anyone know what I'm talking about?I'm looking for a part number or correct name for this seal.Thanks:headscratch:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thats a major leak & I was worried about a few drips that come out of mine over the winter.
Must have a big mess where you park it.
Would pay to wash it down first then keep a eye on it to see where it's comming from.
Possibly leaking from the pan gasket if its that bad.
Your'e not over filling it are you?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The gear selector shaft seal and the O-ring that seals the downshift lever shaft that rotates inside the selector shaft are known for being a leak prone area. The fluid level in the trans sits above these seals and will leak while sitting. There is no pressure behind them, but they will leak until the level of the fluid gets below them. The selector shaft seal can be replaced from the outside if you're able to pull out the old seal, but it's sometimes a real pain. You'll have to go inside and drop the valve body to gain access otherwise. To install this seal from the outside without dropping anything will require a piece of pipe that will go over the shaft so the seal can be tapped into place.

The downshift shaft O-ring only needs the D/S lever removed and the R&R can easily be done. To replace the selector shaft seal both the selector and downshift levers will need removal. You will have fluid coming out when the seals are removed so be prepared.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.