Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just here to be enlightened and blow some steeam
I dont get it how u can swap almost any engine into a honda/integra/nissan even if it was never offered for tha specific model and even have engines shipped from japan that were never offered in the USA and still somehow pass smog in CA:nono:.
But we/i can't do swaps into our mustangs and have it be legal in CA, I have yet to hear about CA legal smog swaps into mustangs.
Just seems fishy and unfair to me, why make it harder for american made cars and easier for imports? Isn't the whole point to buy american?? WHHAAATT THHE FFUDDGGE!!

ps. if i am incorrect on anything please enlighten me...:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
829 Posts
Why did you post this twice?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
accident computer issues, anyway to delete the other thread?

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
Solution: Leave California to the fruits and nuts - US immigration is still accepting California refugees into the country.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there has to be a better solution out there, what loop hole are ricers using for swaps? why cant muscle cars use those same loop holes?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Solution: Leave California to the fruits and nuts - US immigration is still accepting California refugees into the country.
I was told when drafted into the ARMY in 1967 (more than likely you weren't even a wet spot at that time) only Steers and Q...rs came from TEXAS and I don't see any horns on you boy, so once again tell about the fruits and nuts from Calif :smartass:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Haters gonna hate. Ricers don't get any special treatment. Either they have the legal paperwork to do a swap, or they know someone who's got a buddy who can get it smogged for them. BTW, I've seen guys do emissions legal Terminator swaps into Foxes. The correct paperwork and subsequent steps need to be followed.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I believe if you swap a engine from a newer car to an older car you cn smog with the correct paperwork. That being said my girlfriend's Galant's engine went out. She replaced it with an eclispe engine and pass CA. smog with no problem. While I did a 331 stroker with all the smog legal parts got it tune and failed????? Now I just pay for a "smog friendly" smog if you know what I mean!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I believe if you swap a engine from a newer car to an older car you cn smog with the correct paperwork. That being said my girlfriend's Galant's engine went out. She replaced it with an eclispe engine and pass CA. smog with no problem. While I did a 331 stroker with all the smog legal parts got it tune and failed????? Now I just pay for a "smog friendly" smog if you know what I mean!

I've heard that if you run a set of cats and lean the tune out enough, you could pass smog. You just have to make sure to limp it over to the smog shop so you dont blow your motor. Once it passes, just get it reflashed.

·
Registered
829 Posts
LOL -- good one.

I was told when drafted into the ARMY in 1967 (more than likely you weren't even a wet spot at that time) only Steers and Q...rs came from TEXAS and I don't see any horns on you boy, so once again tell about the fruits and nuts from Calif :smartass:
Well, three things about your post:
  1. You just told everyone you're OLD, and your information is OUTDATED. :)
  2. "Q...rs" wouldn't survive in Texas -- it's too harsh of an environment, and the people aren't as "accepting" of such differences. That's why California is the hotspot for that activity! :D
  3. You've obviously never been to Texas!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah but i know about imports getting reffed and bared or somehing like that for completely crazy swaps, from what i know on the law you can only swap newer engines from cars but it has to be the same car, how do they pass?? wtf:nono:

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
yeah but i know about imports getting reffed and bared or somehing like that for completely crazy swaps, from what i know on the law you can only swap newer engines from cars but it has to be the same car, how do they pass?? wtf:nono:

I think getting it to pass if you detune the crap out of it will work(given your mods),its the visual that gets you,everything needs a CARB tag on it. You find a shop that will "see" stock parts then you're golden. Unless you have some crazy setup you should be able to get it under its max levels on the sniffer. With stock cats of course.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts