Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering after reading all these articles and posts on the CAI's if all the HP gains are from the retune? I was especially looking at the JLT intake..and does anyone know if a SCT retune will produce as much hp as it normally would since its already been tweaked for the CAI?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
You will gain significant rwhp gains with just a tune on the stock airbox. Add a CAI and the right tune to compensate for increased airflow, you'll see even more. Depending on the CAI & tune, you can see anywhere from 20-35 rwhp gain.

·
Registered
167 Posts
When SCT did the tuning on my system they related the gains with each : tuner on the stock GT they were using, and the CAI w/new tune.

The results were + 7 with the tune and another + 14 with the CAI/tune.

He didn't relate which fuel as they dyno with 87 and then refuel the test GT with 93 to attain each tune. I've requested the results to analyze but haven't received them yet.

On another dyno session the Superchips tuner called me to relate his results in relation to A/F ratios. They settled on a 12.0:1 A/F on the particular GT they were dynoing due to the way it was prepped for racing with long tubes etc.. He attained +21 @ 12.0:1 and that they could hit +28 going to 13.0:1 I feel the SCT canned tune is probably close to 12.0:1 comparing the different dyno session results. The superchips tuner also related the same thing about the MAF transfer functions that were noted in the Murillo testing.

The tune is the key. I'd go to 12.5-12.9 and see how the curve looked and of course the A/F in relation to any detonation with the fuel you'll be using.

NGK makes the iridium plug for the V6 and I'm inquiring how soon they will be available for the GT.

You can go one heat range colder with the iridiums and not sacrafice any idle qualities. As soon as I can obtain the iridiums I'll get some dyno feedback in relation to the gains with the system/tune/NGK iridiums 1-heat range colder.

I've seen an additional +10 with the Densos (03 Cobra) (1 or 2 heat ranges colder) but prefer the NGKs for idle quality.

·
Registered
394 Posts
JP, I have a question for ya. Will the NGK Iridium plugs have any benefit with just a K&N Aircharger with no tune on a V6? I've never heard of these and was wondering what a different sparkplug's heat range affects.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes, they will.

I'd take a plug reading to see what the A/F indicator is on the stock plug with the Aircharger. You'll need to have accumulated some mileage for an accurate reading...say 2000 miles. If the porceline color is a light gray dusting their at the optimum range. If it's dark gray they're too cold. If it's pure white and you see any tiny black flecks on the porcelin then they are on the hot side and you're expierencing detonation. If it's a reddish color or any indicator of detonation get them out of there and go 1 heat range colder with the NGKs.

If the color looks good replace with the NGKs in the stock heat range.

One advantage with the Xcal2 in relation to the iridiums is that you could dial-in more advance until you hit detonation and then back out the advance to the optimum spot, but stay with the octane you're running.

I've found +1-2 degrees more advance possible with no detonation as compared with the NGK copper core plug the iridiums replaced. Recheck for detonation in the summer months. I can run 1 more degree advance in the winter over the summer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool thanks guys that what I wanted to know :)

you only got 7hp from an SCT tune? i thought they where supposed to get 20-25..maybey thats with outher mods, but the additional 14 hp with cai and tune sounds awesome!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Those gains may have been with the 87. He related that they were refueling as I was talking to my rep and I'll try again to get the actual session results.

There may be some dyno feedback on the forums for just the stock/Xcal results that will give more feedback.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts