Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a novice for sure when it comes to automobiles, but I love them and I want to learn as much as I can, is installing CAI and a tuner a good DIY project for a novice? From what I've heard it is very simple, if not how much labor and time would it cost if I took it too a shop? And also I've heard it will give as little as 5 hp to as much as 20 from friends but I'd rather get that info from you guys :shigrin

Thanks so much!

- Joel

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Joel, it's EASY to Install a CAI, all you need is a Screwdriver for the Clamps and a Hex Screwdriver for the MAF Sensor and a socket to remove your Factory Air Box.
You can do it:bigthumbsupJust follow the simple Instructions provided with your CAI, you could have it on in 20 minutes to a Half Hour.
As for the Tuner you just plug it in under your Dash in to the OB Computer and follow the Instructions on the Hand Held Tuners Screen.
Doing it yourself is the Besy way, that way you know how to do it and the learning experience is for your own good, paying a Shop to do it is throwing Money out the Window, it's so easy even a cave man can do it:gringreen
If you go with a JLT CAI and Tuner Combo from AM and get your Free Tunes for Life:bigthumbsup that Combo will give you about 20 more HP. But the added HP is'nt what you'll really notice, what you'll notice the most is Instant Throttle Response, you touch the Gas and it's right there, no lag, you just go. And the Shifts are Fast and Firm, no drawn out shifts inbetween gears. It'll feel like a totally different car, you'll absolutely Love It:bigthumbsup
Good Luck and Hope this Helped.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's pretty dang easy to do the CAI and it's even easier to do the tune. It takes about 20 minutes to remove the old airbox, MAF, hose, and put on the new CAI. The tune takes seconds... You just plug it in to the OBD-2 port and go from there... There's no point in giving a shop your $ for something even mechanically inclined people can do! :bigthumbsup

As for HP gains? CAIs average around a 6-12 HP increase, depending on the brand and how restrictive the intake was before... The tune from Bama can add up to 20 HP when on race mode.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks guys!
I'm convinced lol :bigthumbsup I'll get it and do it myself.. now just need to come up with $540 :D

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Will I HAVE to use Octane 91 or 93? or will 87 work?
My theroy is, if your gonna spend $540 then do it with style and get all 93 Octane Tunes:bigthumbsup that way you wont have to switch out your Gas when you change Tunes. Now if you can get 93 Octane get it, if you can only get 91 than use that. You'll notice a Bigger Difference in the 93 Octane Tunes over the 91.
Also you'll only spend about $3-$4 a Tankful more on 93 vs 87 Octane and using 93 will get you better Gas Mileage so it all even's out, unless of course you cant keep your foot out of the Gas Pedal:gringreen
I would'nt even bother getting a 87 Octane Tune, why? 87 Octane is only 20Cents a Gallon Cheaper than 93, so if you buy just $20 worh of 93 your only spending about $1.00 more than if you filled up with 87 Octane, and $40 worth of 93 (about 10 Gallons) is only about $2.00 more than 87.......Use 93 and ENJOY:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much for the helpfull advise! Will it be okay if I have half a tank of 87 and fill up wih 93 or 91? will the fuel mix okay? Thanks again everyone! :yup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow well I even learned something new here... I thought if I could only get 91 octane in my area, I had to use 91 tune. So I can actually use 93 with 91 gas? Will AM change my tunes for me to 93?

And to answer your question, I don't know a definite answer, but I would run your tank town pretty low before putting in 91 or 93. That is what I did just to be safe. It probably isn't too great for them to mix to begin with, but it also isn't good for your car if you have a 93 tune but your using gas that is a mix of 87 and 91 or 93. :/
I just drove my stang around for a day or two, and then filled her on up! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
what tuner are you looking to get for the ole beast? My friend has a Steeda CAI on his 08 Mustang and it has shown tremendous improvement. I had driven with him before and after the project and I could easily feel the difference. They advertise a 20hp gain after you install it.

As far as the labor, it was a breeze to put on. You will not have any issues.

I can speak from experience that this CAI was a great buy for my friend.

They have it posted on Steeda.com if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Wow well I even learned something new here... I thought if I could only get 91 octane in my area, I had to use 91 tune. So I can actually use 93 with 91 gas? Will AM change my tunes for me to 93?

And to answer your question, I don't know a definite answer, but I would run your tank town pretty low before putting in 91 or 93. That is what I did just to be safe. It probably isn't too great for them to mix to begin with, but it also isn't good for your car if you have a 93 tune but your using gas that is a mix of 87 and 91 or 93. :/

DO NOT RUN A HIGH OCTANE TUNE WITH ANYTHING LESS THEN THE OCTANE OF THE TUNE. 93 race tune only with 93 octane. you can however run higher octane on a lower tune for example 91 octane on the 87 street or 89 performance, but why would you?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had Bama write me a 87 street, 89 performance tune and a 93 race tune. 93 octane is available in my area and is what i use no matter what tune Im running. Unless..I go on a trip and am unsure what is available in other parts of the country. I either tune down to the 87 or 89 tune for the trip or take the SCT tuner with me. Either way Im covered. It's up to you if you want to be stuck running 93 octane all the time or not.

Install is easy and does add a little zip to your pony, don't expect anything close to a GT though.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Thank you very much for the helpfull advise! Will it be okay if I have half a tank of 87 and fill up wih 93 or 91? will the fuel mix okay? Thanks again everyone! :yup:
NO, run out your Tank Completely with the 87, then fill up with 93. Actually after you fill up with 93 you should run at least a half a tank of 93 through your engine befor you load the 93 Tune:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,122 Posts

You Mis-Read Me above, what I was saying is if He can get 93 Octane Gas in His area use that and get 93 Octane Tunes. If he cant get 93 Octane Gas then he'll have to settle for 91 and Get 91 Octane Tunes and use 91 Octane Gas:bigthumbsup I did'nt say that if all he could get was 91 to use it with his 93 Tune,,,,just wanted to clear this up:bigthumbsup
You can use a Higher Octane Gas with a Lower Octane Tune, but you Can Not use a Higher Octane Tune with Lower Octane Gas.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
OP run your gas down to about an 1/8 of a tank (or a little less if you're feeling lucky) then fill up completely with 91/93. Drive about another 1/4 tank off and refill it again. You should be fine after that. :bigthumbsup

Never use a tune for 93oct with 91 gas. Never ever ever:nono: And don't buy fuel from small gas stations if you can help it. Try to stick with a nationwide brand.

The only thing you may not have is the torx bit. I ran to Ace and got one for a buck. I am theee world's most dangerous man with a screwdriver or an engine but even I would say this is a simple install. The first time it may take 20 minutes, if you had to do it again you could probably do it in 5 if you went all Car Warrior on it. :bigthumbsup

I would suggest the JLT cold air intake with a Bama tune from american muscle. This is an award winning combination. And the price is right, plus you get free tunes for life and some of the best tunes on the market :)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Also, I would not waste any time with tunes in 87 or 89 octane. It's a few bucks at most per fill up and you get the most performance gains with the higher octane. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks guys!
I'm convinced lol :bigthumbsup I'll get it and do it myself.. now just need to come up with $540 :D
I'm in the same boat! Good luck :) :bigthumbsup

Hey you guys, since y'all are talking about tunes and stuff. I heard that you shouldn't use octance booster, so if no where around me sells 93 does that mean I have to settle for 91:weeps? What's your opinions on octane booster?

T

·
0 Posts
Tunable Induction V6 CAI & SCT Tuner

Installing an after market cold air intake is an easy task in 1 hour or less.

Check our '05-'09 & '10 V6 CAI & SCT Tune combo @ $509 w/AFM discount. Great reviews, customer satisfaction, life time warranty, and Bama Chips tested & recommended. One of our top sellers.

Tunable Induction LLC The Original Mustang Cold Air Intake System is Now Partnered with Unique Tuning LLC The Carolinas #1 Source for Mustang And Dodge Performance Parts, Service And Dynojet Tuning Using Diablosport And SCT Tuning Software

Bama dyno & [email protected] 5th dyno down:

Tunable Induction LLC The Original Mustang True Cold Air Intake System . Now Partnered with Unique Tuning LLC The Carolinas #1 Source for Mustang & Dodge Performance Parts, Service And Dynojet Tuning Using Diablosport And SCT Tuning Software

Customer install pics (photos) and reviews (diiscussions) on facebook.

·
Registered
962 Posts

you might find you get pre-ignition knock or ping running 91 octane with a 93 octane tune. The timing and air/fuel mixture are different.

Mine was tuned for 93 and as long as I put 93 in the tank it was fine but when I was unable to get 93 it knocked on hard acceleration,like passing. Mine is supercharged though. I had it tuned to 91 and all is fine. I guess if you going to race it the 93 tune is great as long as you can get the gas. For me ,now that racing is done,91 is just fine. Performance is still outstanding

1 - 18 of 18 Posts