Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CAI: Drivability Question(s)

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  TOUCHDOWN1 
#1 ·
I'm about to move forward with a CAI and tune, but I have a few questions, specifically for the JLT users out there.

My car will continue to be a daily driver for the foreseeable future. Living in the Chicago area, I occasionally get the heat in summer and definitely get the snow in the winter. How does this affect the CAI, specifically the JLT ?

The engine compartment on the S197 GTs can get pretty warm, and in summer traffic jams it only gets worse.
In the winter, there's the ice and snow. The JLT has a rather 'exposed' filter with the minimal sheild surrounding it. Does the heat or cold (specifically snow/ice build-up) present a problem with this CAI and performance ? I've heard of exposed filters getting clogged with snow/ice on some diesels that plow snow, so I figured this problem could be an issue with my car also.

Has anyone else experienced these issues with the JLT (or any other CAI) ?
Would I better off with a more "enclosed" device (FRPP Bullitt, C&L) ?
Would a filter wrap in winter weather make a difference ?
thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I live in Western Canada and we get our share of snow storms. I have not ever had an issue with my C&L CAI with an open air filter getting plugged with snow. having said that I don't think we get the amount of snow accumulation that you do in your area. Perhaps someone from your region will chime in with their experiences.

#3 ·
Aftermarket CAI's are not affected by rain and snow, unless you drive your car thru a flood or an avalanche. WRT to stop and go driving on hot days, they do a better job at feeding cooler air into the engine than the stock air intake. Go for it!

#9 ·
Ditto. I have a ram air hood too and have never got any water on my air filter. Do it and enjoy.

#5 ·
I dont drive mine in the snow but the heat down here in Tennessee isnt a problem with it. Car runs a constant temp all the time.

#6 ·
I live in Arizona and my car has been in extreme heat a lot recently and I haven't had any problems with my JLT.

#12 ·
You're not going to have any issues. It's a great mod.

#10 ·
I used to plow snow in my 2002 F150 and I used a CAI and tune. The filter would get all kinds of snow/slush on the front of it after being out plowing for 20-30 hours.(blow over from the top of the plow would run under the front of the hood and stick to the CAI) I would smack it a little and it would fall off, or sometimes I just left it. I never had an issue, never.

#11 ·
I have driven mine during the winter with pleny of snow on the ground and in heat where the amiant temp is at or over 100 degrees. I've never had a problem and I have UPRs equivalent to the JLT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.