Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy =) First post

I purchased a 2000 Mutang 3.8L V6 with 67K miles on it. Everyone tells me to change out the stock CAI with a better one. So I pop over to Pepboys and get a make-it-yourself one.

Takes all day to put in because the guys neglect to tell me about the sensors (cant use the old housing for the MAF). So I get it in, drive it around, snazzy. Keep in mind, I had removed my MAF and IAT sensors.

This morning the Service Engine Soon light comes out. Pop over to Autozone and they said I need a new MAF and IAT (odd he didnt notice they werent installed). So I went home and put them on....light still on.

I have it sitting at Pepboys right now for a better diagnostic. Has anyone heard of this problem?

Can a sensor (two actually) got bad, sitting in a box less then 12 hours? Or perhaps do you think it could be something else?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did something similar to me when I put in my cai. Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. That took care of my problem.
I did not try that. Youd think Id know to do that... if Pepboys tells me its the MAF and IAT, and theyre more then $150 to install, I can purchase them for $120ish and install myself.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Make sure everything's connected and all couplers are tight. Then disconnect the battery. It's unlikely that two sets of those things have gone bad. I'd put my money on that something's not connected or it's the battery.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I did not try that. Youd think Id know to do that... if Pepboys tells me its the MAF and IAT, and theyre more then $150 to install, I can purchase them for $120ish and install myself.
well technically it was the MAF and IAT that werent working.. tho just cuz they werent plugged in.. its not that theyre bad its just that the computer recognized that they werent working in the past so its just tellin u to check on them.. the unplugging the battery should do the trick.. make sure u plugged them in right too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I put the new CAI in, I took off the sensors and there was no place to attach them to the new CAI. So I took off the wire assembly and sensors and put them in a box.

That night, I drove around, no service engine soon light.

This morning - light was on automatically and the acceleration was TERRIBLE.

So I went to Autozone, they pulled the codes - bad IAT, bad MAF. I told the kid I didnt have them on because the CAI they sell doesnt have a place to reinstall them. I went to ANOTHER Autozone and got the inline sensor adaptor and put the IAT in one of the breather tube grommet ports.

Light still came out.

Took it to Pepboys - told them the SES light is on, Im told its the MAF and IAT but they were working fine not 24 hours ago. They said $90 for manual diagnostic.

I called them 1 hour ago - bad MAF. They dont have an MAF for a 00 V6 Mustang so they cannot do it today. I told them *I* can bring one and it takes < 10 minutes to install. They were hesitant so I said *I* will do it, close it up, I'll be there in 10. It wasnt ready when I got there.

Following Martial Mustang's advice, in the Pepboys parking long, I disconnected the battery, waited 5 minutes and reconnected it.

Light went off, acceleration is back. vrooom vrooom went.

Now off to write a corporate letter to Pepboys.

Thanks for everyone for the help =)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh hey...another question...

Would the new CAI cause a slight rattle during acceleration?

All the clamps and brackets are tight. It only happens while accelerating in drive. Not park and reev.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well, anytime you're working under the hood you could knock something loose. You might want to post a new thread about that. Glad to hear you got the problem worked out.:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, anytime you're working under the hood you could knock something loose. You might want to post a new thread about that. Glad to hear you got the problem worked out.:D
I shall do so. I thank you for your help. Your suggestion totaly fixed the problem.:nogrinner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.