Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install an airaid CAI on my 2013 v6 mustang and was wondering why the battery has to be disconnected?
I know the MAF has to be switched over but with the car turned off, that shouldn't break the sensor?
Is it just a safety issue? or is it to reset the ECU?
Thanks
njg

J

·
0 Posts
There's a few reasons why it's a good idea, saftey is one. In this case it's about idle re-learn though.

You'll find that damn near every installation instructions start with "disconnect the negative terminal".

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
if you want the car to think its the stock intake, and not relearn then there is no need to disconnect, if u want to get the new air readings loaded into the ecu, then unplug it :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Plus, it only takes 30 seconds to do and another minute or so to reconnect and reset your radio stations :bigthumbsup Not a big deal

·
Registered
332 Posts
FWIW, I installed an Airaid and didn't disconnect the battery. When I test drove it after that, the engine sounded better, but felt like it was bogging down whenever I floored it from low rpms. Then I re-read the instructions and disconnected the battery for a bit, reconnected and went for a ride. No more bogging, sounds great on full throttle, and maybe pulls harder, or just sounds like it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's a liability issue! If someone tries starting your car while you're installing the CAI you might sue them.

The ecu will adjust for any changes by the time to drive around the block a couple of times. That's what they do.

J

·
0 Posts
It's a liability issue! If someone tries starting your car while you're installing the CAI you might sue them.

The ecu will adjust for any changes by the time to drive around the block a couple of times. That's what they do.
Umm, no. You're pretty much wrong on all counts.
1. With the vehicle at a complete stop, set the parking brake.
2. Put the gearshift in P (Park) (automatic transmission) or the neutral position (manual transmission), turn off all accessories and start the engine.
3. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
4. Allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
5. Turn the A/C on and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.6. Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process.

The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles (16 km) or more to relearn the idle and fuel trim strategy.

If you do not allow the engine to relearn its idle trim, the idle quality of your vehicle may be adversely affected until the idle trim is eventually relearned.

·
Registered
859 Posts
[

A CAI intake does very little to change much of anything.[/quote]

very little? I disagree.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
[

A CAI intake does very little to change much of anything.

very little? I disagree.[/quote]

Do it because you like the sound. The same OEM intake is used on a 5.0, supporting over 400 hp. How stressed do you think it is feeding a 3.7 with 75% of the power?

IMHO, there is very little to be gained by changing the already well designed oem intake.

R

·
0 Posts
I didn't disconnect the battery and survived to tell the tale. Someone caught wind of what I had done and called the local newspaper. They wrote an article about me and how I cheated death.

·
Registered
859 Posts
very little? I disagree.
Do it because you like the sound. The same OEM intake is used on a 5.0, supporting over 400 hp. How stressed do you think it is feeding a 3.7 with 75% of the power?

IMHO, there is very little to be gained by changing the already well designed oem intake.[/quote]

Review some dyno graphs of the hp and tq gains found with the CAI and I believe you will see my point.

And the 5.0 intake is not the same as the 3.7 intake.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I didn't disconnect the battery and survived to tell the tale. Someone caught wind of what I had done and called the local newspaper. They wrote an article about me and how I cheated death.
Like you I have been cheating death. Not only did I not disconnect the battery when I installed my CAI but I have changed the oil and rotated the tires without removing rings or be concerned if I was wearing loose fitting clothing.

Seriously, are we nit picking about whether the computer resets after a couple trips around the block or it taking a whole 10 miles. Big Wup.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
5.0 and 3.7 have same exact OEM air filter if that tells us anything.

Notice the FRPP Performance Pack for the 5.0 consists of tune and K&N filter only, no more CAI....

Rest of the pack is GT500 dual exhaust and a oil filter which is also same as 3.7 even though only 6qts compared to the GT's 8 qts..

·
Registered
332 Posts
5.0 and 3.7 have same exact OEM air filter if that tells us anything.

Notice the FRPP Performance Pack for the 5.0 consists of tune and K&N filter only, no more CAI....

Rest of the pack is GT500 dual exhaust and a oil filter which is also same as 3.7 even though only 6qts compared to the GT's 8 qts..
Some folks get axlebacks for the noise, some folks get CAI. I got the CAI and love the sound. More power? Maybe so, maybe not, but for daily driving, what you feel is what is real, and the CAI sound makes it more fun to drive, IMHO.

And unplug your battery cable when you do it, before someone gets killed.:smartass:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts