Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local ford dealer and asked the service manager if putting an aftermarket CAI on my 2011 v6 would void my warranty. In response he said "maybe if your claim had something to do with the engine, but I personally wouldn't recommend it because although it increases airflow, it also lets in tons more junk into the engine."

I thought the air filter had to do with the amount of junk your engine pulls in... Should I go ahead and get it anyways?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
it doesnt let junk into the engine. id get it, if something happens where you have to take the car to the dealer for a warranty claim just put the stock intake back on.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thats funny I saw a brand new 2012 GT with a CAI that they were selling off their sales floor....

R

·
0 Posts
Technically speaking any fabric style filter (K&N or CAI) will let in more debris in than a stock paper filter.

Also, look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. It is against Federal law for a dealer to deny warranty service because of an aftermarket part unless they can prove that it caused the failure.

That all being said, just look at all of the people here that have CAIs (90% or so I would say). Is there rampant engine failures? No.

·
Registered
677 Posts
When I was ready to install a CAI, I went to my dealer and asked him the same question and I was told I could put in a ROush CAI and not bother the warranty. So I did. I guess asd long as it is something the dealership handles, it is ok.. Its all politics anyway. If they want to do warranty work, they will and if not, they won't--I myself refuse to live my life worrying about a damn warranty, It takes the "ENJOY" out of owning a Mustang.. Regardless of the cause, we live at the mercy of the dealerships--NOT me, !!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
The Dealer CANNOT deny you of Warranty because of an aftermarket part.

Magnuson-Moss Act

Read :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see that there's a law against it, but I'm sure they could find a way to implicate and involve the aftermarket parts underhandedly, especially when my car is in the back out of view :/

·
Registered
254 Posts
I see that there's a law against it, but I'm sure they could find a way to implicate and involve the aftermarket parts underhandedly, especially when my car is in the back out of view :/
Unfortunately thats true but unlikely. Remember you can always bring your car to another mechanic, get a diagnosis, bring those documentations, and you would probably win in the end against the dealer.

But do what I do...just call or write Ford directly and believe me the Dealer will honor the warranty. Recently the dealer was trying to screw me out on some things, and I wrote Ford and the owner of the dealer...next phone call I got was "What can we do to fix this?"
:hihi:

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
I believe K/N has a $50K warranty against engine failure....everyone here has one for one reason "more peformance"! All the new high performance cars have one, keep your oil changed is the one best thing to keep debris out of your motor

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, I'll go ahead and do it! And like someone said earlier, If I can install the new one, I can reinstall the old one in case of any engine troubles :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I'm actually surprised that K&N doesn't have a CAI system for our cars yet.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There are almost always OEM (original equipment manufacture) "supported" aftermarket parts that will not affect warranty, and I'm sure there is an CAI available from Ford. The problem is, they typically cost extra just to have that "OEM" tag on them. For example, the windshield with the Pony in the dot matrix (those little shade dots near your mirror) would cost an extra $100 just because it is a "Ford/OEM" part. even though they have little to do with the manufacture and sales at all.

Roush parts for example are in this set of warranty covered parts as they are sold and installed at the dealership, as opposed to something you buy at Pep Boys or wherever.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I talked with the service manager once more about the CAI, and he said the main problem around here with CAI's is water getting sucked into the engine... I'm definitely anticipating driving in the rain since i'll be commuting 20 or so miles a day to college. Has anyone ever had that problem before?

·
Registered
532 Posts
So I talked with the service manager once more about the CAI, and he said the main problem around here with CAI's is water getting sucked into the engine... I'm definitely anticipating driving in the rain since i'll be commuting 20 or so miles a day to college. Has anyone ever had that problem before?
I live in South Florida and have driven through many a thunderstorm with my Airaid. No problems yet.

Asking a car dealer service rep about adding something after you bought their car to improve perfomance (and expecting a "sure, why not? response) is akin to asking a chef if adding salt to a dish he just prepared would make it taste better. :gringreen

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I live in South Florida and have driven through many a thunderstorm with my Airaid. No problems yet.
I know San Diego doesn't get nearly as much rain as Florida, but I've noticed a fair amount of water in my Airaid days after driving through a storm on the highway. It collected at the bottom of the snorkel & inside the airbox. Water droplets were spread throughout the airbox, with the small depressions used with grommets to secure the airbox being filled. I drilled them out, but would keep an eye out after driving through rain on the hwy. I once thought I heard a misfire, & found the water in the airbox the next day. :headscratch:

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I've driven in the San Diego humidity with my CAI plenty. Even when the humidity is around 90% or higher in SD, it feels nothing like Florida at the same level, though the car knows it's there. It LOVES humidity! Feels a lot stronger because of the dense air. Water droplets around the intake is one thing. Pulling the filter and finding water in the intake tube is another story. Did you check the tube or just the airbox?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Both, there was a small amount of water at the bottom of the tube, and water droplets throughout the airbox. The storm I drove through was a big one back in February. Haven't had the problem since, but I'll be on the look out next winter. My guess is the problem is more likely driving at hwy speeds as opposed to back rds/streets. I do drive about 70% hwy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts