Ford Mustang Forum banner

CAI on a 2004 Mustang V6 3.9L

12988 Views 17 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  shinerstang
So I have the 3.9L V6. I want to put a CAI on the car but all of them say 3.8L. I only have one vacuum tube on my stock intake and there is not an additional sensor like the 3.8L after market CAI have. If I bought one could I just plug the additional hole in the CAI up? If not where can I get a CAI for my model?

Thanks,
Neal
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
my 03 3.8 had the same situation.. but the cai i bought came with a plug for that second hole since my motor didnt come with a sensor there.. u could probably talk to whoever sold you the cai and theyll set u up with a plug for it maybe.. what CAI do u plan on getting/do you already have?
I was going to just get and eBay special. I have looked the the BBK,K&N, and Steeda and honestly I really dont see a difference. What would you recommend?
G
You can plug it. My 2001 only has one one vac tube and no temp sensor. I just used a large bolt and silicone sealer. I haven't had any problems so far.

As for the different brands, I would go with the eBay special. With name brand you are just paying for the name. All CAIs are a large filter attached to a length of pipe with a mount for the MAF in the middle.
yeah.. theres no real difference.. if it doesnt come with a plug.. then just make one.. im sure youll figure something out they all work the same.. u just have to make sure air isnt entering behind where the maf can detect it
I was going to order the BBK CAI from American Muscle. Then I noticed it was 99-03. Does this need modification to fit the 3.9? Not trying to hijack the thread but I would like to know the answer to this question too.

Giezr
Get the cheap model from AM. There is no need to spend more than $70 for a CAI since they all perform the same.
I was going to order the BBK CAI from American Muscle. Then I noticed it was 99-03. Does this need modification to fit the 3.9? Not trying to hijack the thread but I would like to know the answer to this question too.

Giezr
G
It will work with the 04. The 3.9 is externally the same. Only the stroke is changed.
i used to have a cheap one and it worked just as good as a bbk. The extra money you pay for a name brand is for the name! Esp when it come to stuff like this.
Redlyr is right. They will work. If you dont have the extra plugs then just get the vac caps to plug it up.
That extra hole is for the IAT sensor which was integrated into the MAF in the 99+ V6's.......
actually i think its just the 01+.

i have a seperate IAT sensor in my intake.

Auto part Pipe Engine Vehicle Machine
That extra hole is for the IAT sensor which was integrated into the MAF in the 99+ V6's.......
Oh. That makes sense. I was wondering why the hole was there bc the pipe bend on the 94-98's were different......
actually i think its just the 01+.

i have a seperate IAT sensor in my intake.

View attachment 71686
yeah it really doesnt make a lot of sense because i see CAI's advertised as fitting 99-03, but i've heard people with 01's, 03's, and 04's all say their MAF and IAT are not seperate.

therefore since i have a 2000 and mine are seperate i assume it must be 01+...:headscratch:
Oh. That makes sense. I was wondering why the hole was there bc the pipe bend on the 94-98's were different......
CAI for 3.9L

I contacted BBK and K&N both and there reps did not recommend for the 3.9L due to the sensor. I asked around from other 3.9L's off this site and spent the extra bucks for the MAC Performance 73mm Mass Air System. Fit perfect and nice I-Candy. No plug to fill. Everything hooked up just right and felt the little extra hp. Not bad. I was told by MAC performance it would add about 13HP compared to their fenderwall CAI. First mod and the experience is what I got most out of it. Good luck in your endeavors....

:bigthumbsup
Was this just before they offered to sell you their kits? You would feel a little extra hp with any CAI......
I contacted BBK and K&N both and there reps did not recommend for the 3.9L due to the sensor. I asked around from other 3.9L's off this site and spent the extra bucks for the MAC Performance 73mm Mass Air System. Fit perfect and nice I-Candy. No plug to fill. Everything hooked up just right and felt the little extra hp. Not bad. I was told by MAC performance it would add about 13HP compared to their fenderwall CAI. First mod and the experience is what I got most out of it. Good luck in your endeavors....

:bigthumbsup
You're probably right

Shinerstang,

You're probably right. I did hopefully take some good advice from this site. It was a first mod and got a little dirty and its nice bling. The experience was as fun as the actual gain in HP. Next will be the true duals and than gears and tlok, then tuner.

I am amazed by your 10 sec run. Now that is amazing!!! :bigthumbsup
Thanks. She has alot more in her......
Shinerstang,

You're probably right. I did hopefully take some good advice from this site. It was a first mod and got a little dirty and its nice bling. The experience was as fun as the actual gain in HP. Next will be the true duals and than gears and tlok, then tuner.

I am amazed by your 10 sec run. Now that is amazing!!! :bigthumbsup
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.