Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the 3.9L V6. I want to put a CAI on the car but all of them say 3.8L. I only have one vacuum tube on my stock intake and there is not an additional sensor like the 3.8L after market CAI have. If I bought one could I just plug the additional hole in the CAI up? If not where can I get a CAI for my model?

Thanks,
Neal

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
my 03 3.8 had the same situation.. but the cai i bought came with a plug for that second hole since my motor didnt come with a sensor there.. u could probably talk to whoever sold you the cai and theyll set u up with a plug for it maybe.. what CAI do u plan on getting/do you already have?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to just get and eBay special. I have looked the the BBK,K&N, and Steeda and honestly I really dont see a difference. What would you recommend?

G

·
You can plug it. My 2001 only has one one vac tube and no temp sensor. I just used a large bolt and silicone sealer. I haven't had any problems so far.

As for the different brands, I would go with the eBay special. With name brand you are just paying for the name. All CAIs are a large filter attached to a length of pipe with a mount for the MAF in the middle.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
yeah.. theres no real difference.. if it doesnt come with a plug.. then just make one.. im sure youll figure something out they all work the same.. u just have to make sure air isnt entering behind where the maf can detect it

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was going to order the BBK CAI from American Muscle. Then I noticed it was 99-03. Does this need modification to fit the 3.9? Not trying to hijack the thread but I would like to know the answer to this question too.

Giezr

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I was going to order the BBK CAI from American Muscle. Then I noticed it was 99-03. Does this need modification to fit the 3.9? Not trying to hijack the thread but I would like to know the answer to this question too.

Giezr
Get the cheap model from AM. There is no need to spend more than $70 for a CAI since they all perform the same.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
i used to have a cheap one and it worked just as good as a bbk. The extra money you pay for a name brand is for the name! Esp when it come to stuff like this.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Redlyr is right. They will work. If you dont have the extra plugs then just get the vac caps to plug it up.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
That extra hole is for the IAT sensor which was integrated into the MAF in the 99+ V6's.......
actually i think its just the 01+.

i have a seperate IAT sensor in my intake.

MAF-IAT.JPG

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Oh. That makes sense. I was wondering why the hole was there bc the pipe bend on the 94-98's were different......
yeah it really doesnt make a lot of sense because i see CAI's advertised as fitting 99-03, but i've heard people with 01's, 03's, and 04's all say their MAF and IAT are not seperate.

therefore since i have a 2000 and mine are seperate i assume it must be 01+...:headscratch:

·
Registered
39 Posts
CAI for 3.9L

I contacted BBK and K&N both and there reps did not recommend for the 3.9L due to the sensor. I asked around from other 3.9L's off this site and spent the extra bucks for the MAC Performance 73mm Mass Air System. Fit perfect and nice I-Candy. No plug to fill. Everything hooked up just right and felt the little extra hp. Not bad. I was told by MAC performance it would add about 13HP compared to their fenderwall CAI. First mod and the experience is what I got most out of it. Good luck in your endeavors....

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
I contacted BBK and K&N both and there reps did not recommend for the 3.9L due to the sensor. I asked around from other 3.9L's off this site and spent the extra bucks for the MAC Performance 73mm Mass Air System. Fit perfect and nice I-Candy. No plug to fill. Everything hooked up just right and felt the little extra hp. Not bad. I was told by MAC performance it would add about 13HP compared to their fenderwall CAI. First mod and the experience is what I got most out of it. Good luck in your endeavors....

:bigthumbsup
Was this just before they offered to sell you their kits? You would feel a little extra hp with any CAI......

·
Registered
39 Posts
You're probably right

Shinerstang,

You're probably right. I did hopefully take some good advice from this site. It was a first mod and got a little dirty and its nice bling. The experience was as fun as the actual gain in HP. Next will be the true duals and than gears and tlok, then tuner.

I am amazed by your 10 sec run. Now that is amazing!!! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Shinerstang,

You're probably right. I did hopefully take some good advice from this site. It was a first mod and got a little dirty and its nice bling. The experience was as fun as the actual gain in HP. Next will be the true duals and than gears and tlok, then tuner.

I am amazed by your 10 sec run. Now that is amazing!!! :bigthumbsup
Thanks. She has alot more in her......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.