Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new '06 V6 Mustang and I have been thinking about getting a CAI for it. Should I buy a CAI directly from Ford? I know a few of you said a good one to get is C&L but the dealer I was talking to was saying that they can have one installed for me and it would have it's own warranty on it. Is that a good way to go? Or is the C&L intake better? What kind of difference in hp would I see between the two? I want to get the best quality product for my car and I am considering what the dealer said but I would seriously like to hear your opinions on it. Are there huge differences in CAI's between different companies? Thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Have a look at this site? wmsracing.com
Wolfpac said:
I just got a new '06 V6 Mustang and I have been thinking about getting a CAI for it. Should I buy a CAI directly from Ford? I know a few of you said a good one to get is C&L but the dealer I was talking to was saying that they can have one installed for me and it would have it's own warranty on it. Is that a good way to go? Or is the C&L intake better? What kind of difference in hp would I see between the two? I want to get the best quality product for my car and I am considering what the dealer said but I would seriously like to hear your opinions on it. Are there huge differences in CAI's between different companies? Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'd recommend you look at all of the available options. Anything your dealer installs for you may be warranted by that particular dealer but won't be warranted by Ford. Even a CAI purchased through Ford Racing is considered an after-market part and not covered by the factory warranty.

Personally I can highly recommend the Mustang Racing Technologies (MRT) CAI. The install was straightforward and looks absolutely awesome!! :worship It does not require an after-market tune (also not warranted) like some of the others do. And its also nice to know that the former program manager for Team Ford, Scott Hoag, is the force behind MRT!! :winks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the MRT CAI's come with easy to install instructions? I've never really worked on cars before so I am a little cautious about having to have to install it myself. I mean I'm no idiot but I'm not exactly a rocket surgeon either. I just want to make sure that it is easy to install and if for some reason I need to re-install my factory one it will be easy. Also, about how much of a boost would this give me? I'm not looking for something huge maybe just a 10 hp boost if anything.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wolfpac said:
Does the MRT CAI's come with easy to install instructions? I've never really worked on cars before so I am a little cautious about having to have to install it myself. I mean I'm no idiot but I'm not exactly a rocket surgeon either. I just want to make sure that it is easy to install and if for some reason I need to re-install my factory one it will be easy. Also, about how much of a boost would this give me? I'm not looking for something huge maybe just a 10 hp boost if anything.
Installation took about an hour... and no it doesn't require an ASE master mechanic to complete the work. It's actually pretty straightforward.

With any intake and no tune you're honestly get only a modest increase in performance (maybe <= 10 hp... maybe). If you truly want a significant increase then you really need to consider getting a tuner to go with it. My only problem with the tuner is the risk of Ford trying to weasel out of their warranty by saying the tune caused the problem. With some CAI's, they absolutely require a tune so if you choose the option of removing the tune before going to the dealer then you may also have to remove the CAI and re-install the stock unit. Thats too much work for my lazy azz to have to do...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
martimus said:
Installation took about an hour... and no it doesn't require an ASE master mechanic to complete the work. It's actually pretty straightforward.

With any intake and no tune you're honestly get only a modest increase in performance (maybe <= 10 hp... maybe). If you truly want a significant increase then you really need to consider getting a tuner to go with it. My only problem with the tuner is the risk of Ford trying to weasel out of their warranty by saying the tune caused the problem. With some CAI's, they absolutely require a tune so if you choose the option of removing the tune before going to the dealer then you may also have to remove the CAI and re-install the stock unit. Thats too much work for my lazy azz to have to do...
I was considering the Xcalibrator 2 tuner by sct to tune the car with the new CAI. With the Xcal 2 you can store the factory setting and custom tune the car too. I figure when I take it into the dealer I'll just upload the factory settings. But if it is that easy to install the MRT CAI I think I will probably go with that... I just have a few more recommendations I want to check out before I get it.... Thanks. I will definitely let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anybody else have any other opinions on CAI's? Especially on the ones provided by Ford Parts Department? Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I put the aFe Stage II on mine and had previously tuned with the Diablo, though this unit does not need to be tuned if you don't want to. But I found playing around with the Diablo, which is made for a 6 year old to handle, you get a noticable improvement in performance. Then add in the CAI and it really starts to jump. I did the throttle body, along with a spacer, headers and changed the FI and FP. I won't know until the end of January what the HP is until I can get it on the Dyno at the shop.

Good luck, I think you found already there is a ton of stuff out there to choose from

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess my biggest question is if there are actual significant hp and performance differences between say, an aFe Stage II, MRT, and a Ford Parts Department CAI. I'm just trying to figure out what is the best route for me to go if I plan on buying a tuner for it a little bit later on. I don't know... I might just buy a tuner first before the intake but either way I want to eventually be able to maximize my Mustang with the combination of the 2 and am trying to figure out which combination will be the best. Thanks again for any help.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Keep this in mind dude... Most Ford parts departments don't sell after-market intakes for Mustangs. Those with affiliations with Ford Racing, or Saleen, or Roush, may but most typically only sell Ford sanctioned parts. And Ford, per se, does not officially sanction the installation of a non-Ford intake for the Mustang.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what you're saying is, even if I go with the Ford Parts Department CAI it doesn't necessarily mean that it would be warranty'd, right? So in other words it wouldn't matter where I get that CAI from because even if I do buy it from Ford it wouldn't be covered by the factory warranty. Therefore, if something does go wrong with my car they would still have an excuse to void the factory warranty because it is considered to be after market which is separate from the factory warranty, right? Just making sure I'm clear in terms of what I'm getting myself into.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wolfpac said:
So what you're saying is, even if I go with the Ford Parts Department CAI it doesn't necessarily mean that it would be warranty'd, right? So in other words it wouldn't matter where I get that CAI from because even if I do buy it from Ford it wouldn't be covered by the factory warranty. Therefore, if something does go wrong with my car they would still have an excuse to void the factory warranty because it is considered to be after market which is separate from the factory warranty, right? Just making sure I'm clear in terms of what I'm getting myself into.
EXACTLY! As an example I have a Ford Racing (Borla) exhaust on my Mustang. Though I purchased it from a Ford dealership Ford considers it an after-market part. As such it is not included in my factory warranty and holds only that warranty which is offered by Ford Racing. If my car were to have a problem that they could somehow trace back to the exhaust Ford would have the option to not repair the problem under the factory warranty. They would simply try to say that the problem was caused by a non-Ford part and, as such, is not covered by the factory warranty. Some dealers would work this way while others would overlook the fact that the exhaust is after-market and perform the repair. It completely depends on the dealer you work with...

·
Registered
454 Posts
The C&L CAI is about the easiest install I could imagine. If it takes you more than a half hour you're really just slow is all I can say. The people at C&L know what they're doing. I've been to their shop and I've talked to the head designer. He installed mine for me while I watched. I could have done it just as easily and I'm not a "motorhead".

As far as warranty questions you may want to join your local Mustang Club. they usually have very good working relationships with the local Ford dealers. You never know it can't hurt.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The C&L intake and a Bamachips tuned SCT II rips the tires at half-throttle. Great gains... makes the car run like it should off the assembly line. dig it!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bamachips? Whoah! I'm just trying to do these mods one at a time! I was thinking about tuning the car first with an X-Cal 2 and then going for the intake later on.......

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Wolfpac said:
Anybody else have any other opinions on CAI's? Especially on the ones provided by Ford Parts Department? Thanks!
I run the C&L street with an SCT X-cal2 tune. I've was very impressed with the quality and fit of the C&L. Install is a breeze and performance with a 93 octane tune is impressive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts