Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been reading reviews on various axle back exhaust systems, and everyone with CAI installed in conjunction with their axle back seems to report no drone compared to those without CAI. I just installed Hushpower axle backs and I'm getting considerable drone @ 1800-2000 rpm with the stock air box. Will a CAI reduce it? Think there's any truth to my theory?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Have you thought about writing for "Fairytail Monthly"?

I've been reading reviews on various axle back exhaust systems, and everyone with CAI installed in conjunction with their axle back seems to report no drone compared to those without CAI. I just installed Hushpower axle backs and I'm getting considerable drone @ 1800-2000 rpm with the stock air box. Will a CAI reduce it? Think there's any truth to my theory?
........Only if you think that brushing with Crest toothpaste will make yer toe nail polish shine longer.:D

·
Registered
371 Posts
i agree with Longboy.. a lot of things have a effect on drone like mufflers material, exhaust length, exhaust diameter, so on and so on..

But one thing that i can say, which im sure youre not gonna wanna do, but when i first bought my mustang it had flowmasters and exhaust pipes out the back.. Drone was ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE (gave me headaches)... but my tips were draggin the ground on steep changes in grade so i had the tips cut off.. so now my pipes were pointed at the ground coming over the axle... drone was steeply reduced but anything in the 65-73 mph it was enough to turn my music up (with 4.10s).. never have been a flowmaster fan so i went and bought some slp lm1s and dumped them right before the axle.. NO DRONE AT ANY SPEED.. and ive had a CAI the whole time. But the Lm1s were too obnoxious so i changed out again to the VT's. They were advertised to have NO drone, and they dont, but they are also too quiet.. so im gonna change up AGAIN

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...guess I'll skip on the CAI. Might get some GT500 axle backs instead.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Don't know if it works, some guy was saying that the noise from the sound tube and the exhaust together made the drone and that pulling the sound tube lessened the drone.

Couple of other folks said that sound insulation on the trunk floor really helped to lessen drone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know if it works, some guy was saying that the noise from the sound tube and the exhaust together made the drone and that pulling the sound tube lessened the drone.

Couple of other folks said that sound insulation on the trunk floor really helped to lessen drone.
I may try the sound tube delete, but most reports on installation of dynamat in the trunk doesn't seem to work. Maybe there's an alternative to dynamat that does?

·
Registered
66 Posts

If you just installed them, give it some time before you rip 'em out. I put FMs (not hushpowers) on my 4.6 a month ago, and I could swear the drone is less now than when I first put them on. I don't think it's my ears getting used to it, as I didn't drive the car for a week while on vacation, and it still sounded less "droney" when I got back in it.

People talk of mufflers "breaking in", which doesn't make sense with mufflers wth no packing in them. That said, before I installed the mufflers, I wiped a couple small bits of packing styrofoam out of the inlet pipes and noticed a thin coating of oil inside the pipe - it's probably inside the whole muffler - I guess a part of the manufacturing process. My completely unscientific theory is that this oil messes with the sound and increases resonance until it all gets burned off from driving around.

Or maybe I'm just nuts :kooky:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you just installed them, give it some time before you rip 'em out. I put FMs (not hushpowers) on my 4.6 a month ago, and I could swear the drone is less now than when I first put them on. I don't think it's my ears getting used to it, as I didn't drive the car for a week while on vacation, and it still sounded less "droney" when I got back in it.

People talk of mufflers "breaking in", which doesn't make sense with mufflers wth no packing in them. That said, before I installed the mufflers, I wiped a couple small bits of packing styrofoam out of the inlet pipes and noticed a thin coating of oil inside the pipe - it's probably inside the whole muffler - I guess a part of the manufacturing process. My completely unscientific theory is that this oil messes with the sound and increases resonance until it all gets burned off from driving around.

Or maybe I'm just nuts :kooky:
Thanks...I've read other posts that mirror your experience. I'll give it a month.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I can tell you from experience that a CAI does not kill drone, I still have drone (albeit not that bad) with my Hushpowers and Airaid CAI

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can tell you from experience that a CAI does not kill drone, I still have drone (albeit not that bad) with my Hushpowers and Airaid CAI
Did you ever have the Hushpowers pre Airaid? Any difference?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts