Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 06 Mustang GT 5-speed. I plan on doing some weekend autocross. It is also a daily driver. What makes more sense for a first mod? C&L CAI/Tuner kit from Brenspeed or a Saleen suspension kit? Opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I think a CAI and a tuner should always be your first mod. You're going to need the tuner for any future engine mod anyway so you may as well just get it over with.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I agree that a CAI/Tuner combo is the only way to go for a first mod. That being said I don't think that the Saleen suspension setup is adequate for autocross. Checkout the Steeda and Eibach swaybar setups. The Saleen doesn't include a rear swaybar nor is one available.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ummm....I might disagree, guys. Sort of. I've run solo2 autocross once, in stock form, and then I added a tuner and cai. If you're specifically looking for gains on the autocross lap, go with the Steeda swaybars and such first. I had plenty of HP on tap stock to kick the tires loose at any time, but the car understeered badly.

But, if you want more benefit on your daily commute, go with the tune & cai. I love mine, the difference in driveability is phenomenal. And it's the basis for any future HP improvements. It also moved me from scca fstock to stx. If you're really interested in competition, you can be competitive in the stock classes quicker than the touring classes, as they allow MUCH more mod on the cars in touring.

·
Registered
454 Posts
First mod I did was the CAI/Tuner. I saw the obvious improvements in acceleration etc.

Suspension mod (Ford Racing Lowering Kit) was done and tires/rims were still 17" stock Pirellis. Noticed some improvement in handling (tighter, no brake dive).

A week later I got my 18" (18X9 front, !8X 10 rear) rims with BF Goodrich g-Force 255/45 fronts and 285/40 rears. WOW! big difference. I was startled by the difference in handling. Used to be with my auto tranny I could chirp 1st and 2nd gears and now forget about it. 100% traction.

I guess what I'm saying is consider what size tires you've got before looking at CAI/suspension mods.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Tuner. you cant hardly do another performance mod to the 05+ without one, should be everyones first mod in my opinion. if your going for performance that is.:eyepoppin

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
If you're serious about auto cross > Suspension!

You just got the brand wrong, I'd prolly go with the FRPP Kit now but my Eibach Pro Springs and Anti-Roll Kit is awesome too, VERY price worthy!

Tuner and CAI will save you fuel for your every day drive, plus it is more fun EVERY DAY... Tunable Inductions w/ MD SCT tune, yea, you got the brand wrong again... lol :rolleyes: [PS. Okay, the C&L is pretty good too...]

·
Registered
70 Posts
For Solo2 - Without a doubt you'll get better times with suspension and tires than any engine mods. Can't comment on Saleen. I've heard good things about the Roush suspension, but it is expensive...and I am biased....it's on my wish list after wheels/tires and brakes.

I ran a "driving event" (road racing with limited passing and no "bump and grind") at Laguna Seca. Higher speeds (up to ~110), not as tight turns as Solo2. The Beast exhibited noticable (and fun and predictable) understeer, moderate roll due to the softer 'vert suspension. (but no sidewall scrub, :) running 35 psi on stock Nero's) Best bang-for-the-buck mods for that would have been:
1. Big brakes (which requires 18s),
2. a couple degrees of camber, and
3. fatter or R compound rubber.

I had a few scary moments with the brakes, earned two meatballs :sterb: for going off course with my brake to the floor, once in turn 2 and once at the chicane. I now understand what knock-back is all about...once I started doing the brake tap before scrubbing speed, I found brakes were MUCH more predictable (and I stayed on course).

Man, that's some fun stuff! Can't wait to go again!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Since I will only be autocrossing occasionally, I think I will go with the CAI/Tune.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts