Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just bought the original california car duster for my car and this is the first time I'm using it. I got it because i saw people using them at carshows for older/newer Mustangs. Anyway before using I was reading that i should I leave it outside for couple days for the wax on the duster to get dry, any truth to this??? And what is the newspaper trick everyone is talking about. I just want to get rid of the dusts on the car but don't want any scratch etc happens.
Let me know what's the best way to use this duster, thanks

·
Dragon Tail Master
2013 Mustang V6 Brembo
2,579 Posts
Setting it on newspaper pulls out the extra wax, it will streak for the first couple of times you use it if you don't.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot i was so excited I havnt even read the instructions it came with lol
cheers

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have several of these and the older they get the better they seem to work. As mentioned they leave streaks if they are not aged. Leaving them wrapped in newspaper for a week or so helps to some degree. Some things to keep in mind for best results.

Don't use it to clean a dirty car. It is a duster. Just hold it so that the fringe just touches the car and drag it in one direction (front to back on top surface and top to bottom on sides). Do not use if paint is warm as this can leave the wax streaks even from an aged duster. I use and old one to brush snow of my car and it seems to eliminate the fine scratches you normally get with a snow brush.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Best thing I ever bought for my car for dust on a normally clean car, the dirtier it gets the better it works :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Best thing I ever bought for my car for dust on a normally clean car, the dirtier it gets the better it works :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup
+1 best ten dollar investment towards car cleaning I got.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I still have my first California Duster that is over 20-years old and it continues to work great. It was actually made in the USA and is much higher quality than the cheap China one I bought a year ago. They both are California Duster brand but the original one that was made here is way nicer!

·
Registered
580 Posts
mini duster

Hey all, I just bought the original california car duster for my car and this is the first time I'm using it. I got it because i saw people using them at carshows for older/newer Mustangs. Anyway before using I was reading that i should I leave it outside for couple days for the wax on the duster to get dry, any truth to this??? And what is the newspaper trick everyone is talking about. I just want to get rid of the dusts on the car but don't want any scratch etc happens.
Let me know what's the best way to use this duster, thanks
Autozone carries a mini duster for a dashboard - 11.00. This works GREAT!!! - I use it on the exterior, but I also wash my car twice a week so it is rarely dusty.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Autozone carries a mini duster for a dashboard - 11.00. This works GREAT!!! - I use it on the exterior, but I also wash my car twice a week so it is rarely dusty.
+1 I've got one of these also. Great thing to have.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey venom800tt, I've found that - the better my wax coat, the better the California Duster works (ditto for detail sprays.) If you can feel any resistance when the duster goes across the paint, it's time for a fresh coat.

Funny, I used them for years before I learned about drying them out. Now I've used them for years without ever doing it. I'm gentle enough that I don't have many wax spots even when they're new. When it does happen, I just zap it with a light haze of water (I keep plain old H20 in an old Windex bottle) and wipe it off with a towel. Extra clean spot!

My Tip: I keep my duster in the trunk but don't secure the plastic cover with the Velcro. Instead, I push the "pointy side" of the Velcro into the carpet so it doesn't roll around in the trunk. It never slides out of the cover either. (I also stick a 1"x1" piece of Velcro ("pointy side") on my bottle of detail spray to keep it from rolling around, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.