Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone get scratches from a California Duster? I have a black Mustang and am thinking about using one.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I see lots of people say that they get scratches with them, but I use one a lot & don't see any problems. Since my car is a garage queen & doesn't get driven in the rain, I rarely wash it with water. I brush the dust off LIGHTLY with my duster, then go over the car with Poorboy's Spray & Gloss quick detailer & a microfiber.

·
Registered
41,828 Posts
I used to use one. But they say that you can get scratches from using one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It depends on how you use it. If you keep it to "dusting" it, meaning just enough dust after 2-3 days after a wash, it should be fine. I'd also keep it above the middle of the door as a reference as you want to minimize the duster picking up and spreading brake dust or harder dust.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I owned this for the whole of 5 minutes before returning it. It seemed gimicky at first (shamwow), and it proved to be just that, wreaking havoc on my black paint. Came to my senses and invested in the highest quality micro-fiber cloth I could find. If you don't want scratches, get a cloth. If you use them properly, you can even dust on light dry dust and dirt. Even better is to spray a little lubricant first (distilled water+detailing spray), or even just distilled water. The funny thing is this process takes no longer than using a duster, and can be put away in the trunk easily. Best of all is your neighbours won't laugh at you lol.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I have one I'll use it on occasion but don't trust it 100%. I can't bring myself to throw it out because it has DNA on it from my 71 Cuda

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I've used one for years on my Cobra...no problems...yeah it's for light dusting only, it was really handy when I live in AZ

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anyone get scratches from a California Duster? I have a black Mustang and am thinking about using one.
I use one on my black stang once and a great while, normally only within a day or two of washing when the pollen has built up and needs to be dusted off real quick. Works great on the paint and the dash. However, anything more than pollen or very light dust and I use a quick detailer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
California duster is great if used properly but so many people use it incorrectly its gotten a bad rap. You need to let it air out when you first get it and leave it on newspaper for 2 days to remove excess paraffin, which is what its treated with to pickup dust. If you don't, i've seem people complain about leaving swirls behind.

Then, when using it, you let the cloth hang and you Lightly brush dust off the car, going in one directly and sweeping the dust off the side of the car. Do not push down on the California duster into the paint of the car, that will scratch your car. The California duster is also only used to remove dust and not dust "film". If your car has film then you need to wash it. Also, you use the California duster on a dry, cool car surface, don't use it if your car has been sitting in the sun all day long.

I love my California Duster. I normally wash my car on the weekends and use the California duster first then finish it off with a waterless car wash product from Adams Polishes to keep the car clean during the week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
California duster is great if used properly but so many people use it incorrectly its gotten a bad rap. You need to let it air out when you first get it and leave it on newspaper for 2 days to remove excess paraffin, which is what its treated with to pickup dust. If you don't, i've seem people complain about leaving swirls behind.

Then, when using it, you let the cloth hang and you Lightly brush dust off the car, going in one directly and sweeping the dust off the side of the car. Do not push down on the California duster into the paint of the car, that will scratch your car. The California duster is also only used to remove dust and not dust "film". If your car has film then you need to wash it. Also, you use the California duster on a dry, cool car surface, don't use it if your car has been sitting in the sun all day long.

I love my California Duster. I normally wash my car on the weekends and use the California duster first then finish it off with a waterless car wash product from Adams Polishes to keep the car clean during the week.
I followed the "two days on a piece of newspaper" guidelines upon purchasing a California Duster. The first time I used it on the car, it left paraffin all over the place. I then allowed my California Duster to sit on newspaper for a week, but it still left paraffin behind on the paint. I exercised patience and continued to use it to pick up dust and then remove the paraffin with a detailing spray as I figured they had to be broken in. After weeks of patience, I ultimately decided that the dust was less annoying than the paraffin streaks and threw it in the trash.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I followed the "two days on a piece of newspaper" guidelines upon purchasing a California Duster. The first time I used it on the car, it left paraffin all over the place. I then allowed my California Duster to sit on newspaper for a week, but it still left paraffin behind on the paint. I exercised patience and continued to use it to pick up dust and then remove the paraffin with a detailing spray as I figured they had to be broken in. After weeks of patience, I ultimately decided that the dust was less annoying than the paraffin streaks and threw it in the trash.
Were your car panels hot and under the sun? that leaves streaks of the paraffin. I usually dust my car off in the morning in the garage and have never had any issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Were your car panels hot and under the sun? that leaves streaks of the paraffin. I usually dust my car off in the morning in the garage and have never had any issues.
Yep, cool surfaces each and every time with it parked in the garage.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I use a California Duster. I've found that when you get a new one, drop it on your garage floor and through dust piles. I'm serious.
Get it really dusty, shake it out and you're ready to go. Maybe the first time you'll get a streak or two (just use detailer on that spot).

Once it's fully broken in these things are great for cleaning of light dust. I even use it on my boat which can go two weeks of sitting between uses.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I own a California Duster and was amazed at the results...BUT

I was quite careful when it came to my paint, made sure that I always dusted it/shook it off whenever I could, didn't use it when the car was hot / warm. Problem is I think I used it too often [3-4 times a week]

Over time, I began seeing more and more fine lines / scratches. The build up on the Cali Duster is just a bit much, even if you do try and shake it out on a regular basis. It tends to harden on the fine ends of the hairs/bristles causing the marring / scratches on the clearcoat.

I wouldn't recommend it on a darker car [Especially black] or any car for that matter.

I have to do a full 3 stage swirl remover to get rid of all that fine-line scratches. Meg's 105 / 205 helped with that.

Sorry for the long story, but I'd much rather share my experiences, save your money.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm on my second California Duster...The 1st one I had for about a year...turned black since I dust both cars every morning before my wife and I leave for work...didn't have any problems with scratches...I will forever use them...happy owner.

·
Registered
470 Posts
A great use for the California Duster is to keep the dust removed from your engine compartment. I wash weekly and finish off by dusting and wiping down engine :bigthumbsup

B

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never thought about dusting off the engine. Thanks for the tip!

·
Administrator
13,263 Posts
A great use for the California Duster is to keep the dust removed from your engine compartment. I wash weekly and finish off by dusting and wiping down engine :bigthumbsup

B
I do the same thing. I use the small duster for that chore.:yup:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've been using the same duster since 1994. No problem with scratches. I dust it after the car is driven and then I cover it in the garage. I don't use the mustang when there's a chance of rain so it only needs to be washed every 6 months.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts