Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the original owner of my 1995 GT, it is completely stock. I am planning to do some modifying and I am curious to know what I can get away with. Can anyone provide a list of modifications that won’t create problems when taking the smog test? In advance, thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
436 Posts
as long as your exhaust system meets the C.A.R.B. (california air resources board) requirement, there shouldnt be any probs....make sure if u get a mid pipe that there are cats with it.....any CARB certified product is ok for cali

·
Registered
4 Posts
There really isn't all that much good stuff you can get away with. My suggestion is that whatever you mod..........keep the original. That way you can re-install it for the test and then take it back off.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
it will not tell you that the car has a non oem camshaft, it will read higher in HCs and COs but like previously stated, stick with components that are carb approved and you will be alright. there are lots of products out there in which you can do so including but not limited to blowers, heads, cam, intakes, ignition, and even the chp 347 is smog legal in california. the big thing is to make sure it is tuned and running correctly with catalytics before you go to the test station.

·
Registered
6 Posts
KEEP your original parts!!! You can pass pass the sniffer and EASILY fail the inspection. Keep photo copies of the CARB stickers as a backup. There is only ONE brand of aftermarket OBDII cat approved. Keep your stock cat when you replace it. The CHP sent me to an "emissions referee" once = proctologist!

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Remember, that in California, almost any exhaust work is going to cause you to fail. You can do axelback exhaust and be good, but according to the vehicle code book, if you move, alter, change, remove, etc your catalic converter you wil fail. Also note that there are several parts to the test...the measuring of HCs and COs from the exhaust, the "sniffer" test, and the visual test. Whenever you get a part that says "not legal for sale on pllution controleld vehicles" usually means that item causes your engine to emit more HCs and COs than allowed.

You alternatives are 1) to keep your orginal parts, 2) seek a non-reputable shop to "fake" a passing test (not a good way to go for not legal and will get caught sooner or later), or 3) register your car in a part of California that smog is not required (again, not totally legal).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.