Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a 2004 V6 mustang that I plan on doing a coyote swap to; the dealer told me that the car has had a cobra bottom end swap. I live in California where emission regulations leave me little room to play so I know if I perform this swap I will not pass smog. The fact of the matter is I'm not the kind of person who can drive around in a recycled vegetable oil powered VW bus and be happy.
I see cars driving around with a substantial amount of modifications that would be near impossible to remove come smog check. My coworker's and associates tell me the likeliness of me getting sent to a smog ref is little or else I wouldn't be seeing all of these modded out cars. One even has a friend that I met that had a 2003 cobra pushing 600+ hp (before little Jr. came). He has a GTO and he says police don't target him, they go after cars that are speeding or racing.
I'm scared I will be the guy that gets sent to the smog ref after spending over $15,000 on my car. Is there anyone out there who has modifications in this ridiculously strict area that can give me a little insight? If I have a supercharged coyote motor, long tube headers, a nasty cam, tinted windows, and the aggressive stance parked at a red light will I be a target?
Is there anyone out there that has been or knows someone who has been cited for illegal modifications? What happens? Am I facing insurance fraud for quoting a cobra but driving a freak of nature? I know for awhile they have been crushing cars that have been street racing (I saw a Lexus IF-A crushed), is this because they have stolen parts or because the car has illegal mods?
Sorry for asking so much, I just want to make sure I'm not getting myself into a world of trouble.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Hey all, I have a 2004 V6 mustang that I plan on doing a coyote swap to; the dealer told me that the car has had a cobra bottom end swap. I live in California where emission regulations leave me little room to play so I know if I perform this swap I will not pass smog. The fact of the matter is I'm not the kind of person who can drive around in a recycled vegetable oil powered VW bus and be happy.
I see cars driving around with a substantial amount of modifications that would be near impossible to remove come smog check. My coworker's and associates tell me the likeliness of me getting sent to a smog ref is little or else I wouldn't be seeing all of these modded out cars. One even has a friend that I met that had a 2003 cobra pushing 600+ hp (before little Jr. came). He has a GTO and he says police don't target him, they go after cars that are speeding or racing.
I'm scared I will be the guy that gets sent to the smog ref after spending over $15,000 on my car. Is there anyone out there who has modifications in this ridiculously strict area that can give me a little insight? If I have a supercharged coyote motor, long tube headers, a nasty cam, tinted windows, and the aggressive stance parked at a red light will I be a target?
Is there anyone out there that has been or knows someone who has been cited for illegal modifications? What happens? Am I facing insurance fraud for quoting a cobra but driving a freak of nature? I know for awhile they have been crushing cars that have been street racing (I saw a Lexus IF-A crushed), is this because they have stolen parts or because the car has illegal mods?
Sorry for asking so much, I just want to make sure I'm not getting myself into a world of trouble.
You can make that V6 run very well.....and smog legal in Ca...start with a set of gears....that in itself will make it wake up...next get a tuner from ford (actually at the same time so you can adjust for the gears) and the MPG's will only drop 1-2 mpg if you stay with the 3.55's....

now about an engine change....as long as it was an option for that car of that year you are ok...but it has to be a complete swap, ECU, trans, exhaust, etc...if the engine is newer than the car you now have to meet the newer smog specs....if the engine is older...you are in trouble.....and looking at a federal referee station for the rest of the cars life and resale....price just dropped! Either way, unless you get real lucky that is a lot of $ to drop in a car with an engine that from the oem is already starting out at 200 hp. IMHO, with the gears & tune alone, it will run right next to a 5.0 off the light.....throw on a NOx system (say something small like 50-75 hp)....that is an easy removal for smog testing......now you are at 275 + hp.....plus a tune & gears.....unless it is a blown 5.0...off the light they are going to have avery, very hard time staying with you and...gears...about $500 installed, tune....$300, nox...$700...so for $1,500 and about 2 days of time...watch out!

A couple of FYI's

1. Even though you were exempt from inspections (which as you know you are not), you are not exempt from the requirement to have them- even US Fish & Game Wardens carry a manual that identifies each vehicle and the required smog equipment, illegal engines changes, etc with pics of how to ID.
2. Any law enforcement officer (including fish & game), EPA inspector, Air Quality Management Inspector (and they do cruise the roads) etc. can impound the vehicle and cite it as a gross polluter

3. Once cited, a judge will decide if the vehicle is to be scrapped or returned to the owner- and you do not have any opportunity to speak in court- just required to sit & listen.

4. if the vehicle is returned- guess what, now you have to repair and take the vehicle to a federal referee station for the rest of "its life" for a smog inspection & test.

IMHO, it's not worth the risk versus the little gain.....your friends advise....get new friends....

·
Registered
734 Posts
i saw some of them CHP nazis when i visited Cali, i got lucky tho and escaped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts