Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there is a cam on the market for the speed density mustangs. I have an 87 GT, and am planning on buying a new cam, but the E303 from what I understand can cause a lot of headaches. If anyone knows what kind and where I could find one, could they let me know

Thanks
Justin

·
Registered
256 Posts
i ran a crower 15511 cam w/ P heads and cobra intake while on speed density and it would only stall out on a rare occasion when coming to a stop. i wouldnt suggest any of the ford alphabet cams unless you are willing to put up w/ a choppy idle, and stalling issues.

G

·
Any cam is going to give you trouble because speed/density can't really compensate, but the milder the cam the less problems you'll have. If you're getting into mods heavy enough to be looking at cams you should convert to mass air.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi

I went thru this a few years ago.. If you call Comp cam they do have a cam for Speed Density cars.. the only thing that you should look out for is the lobe center angle.. a speed density cam is 113 deg.. if you install any of the 303 cams you will have idle and drivability issues.. stay away from 112 or 110 deg cams.. I phoned Comp cam and was told the cam would cost over 400 dollars.. save your money ..buy a mass air conversion kit and then you can use any cam up to a .544 lift.. stock cam is .444 lift.. if you want more info I think I still have the Comp Cam number written down...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have an isky cam in my speed density. I have not had any problems with mine at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
heres the rule of a sd setup for cams:
no more than 220* duration
no less than 112 lsa(higher the number the better)
nothing over a .520" lift(i know there is exceptions)

you need a cam that has good vac. so the computer don't have a fit.
you should look into a some of the comp cam grinds or even crower.
both have a nice selection of cams that will fit you needs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
jyd88lx said:
Hi

I went thru this a few years ago.. If you call Comp cam they do have a cam for Speed Density cars.. the only thing that you should look out for is the lobe center angle.. a speed density cam is 113 deg.. if you install any of the 303 cams you will have idle and drivability issues.. stay away from 112 or 110 deg cams.. I phoned Comp cam and was told the cam would cost over 400 dollars.. save your money ..buy a mass air conversion kit and then you can use any cam up to a .544 lift.. stock cam is .444 lift.. if you want more info I think I still have the Comp Cam number written down...
hope i don't get into trouble for this:
www.50tech.com

they have all the info you need for sd cams

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.