Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old Red is all buttoned up with new Stage 2 Comp Cams. She will be on the Dyno at 8:00am tomorrow. I will let you know the results :bigthumbsup

G

·
0 Posts
Argh what a tease! Good luck!

Do you have a baseline? Take some video so we can watch and listen to that beast!

BTW, I like how much that shop cares about your ride. Wrapping the entire front end to prevent scratches is going above and beyond and shows they really care about their customers. Props to them!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Argh what a tease! Good luck!

Do you have a baseline? Take some video so we can watch and listen to that beast!

BTW, I like how much that shop cares about your ride. Wrapping the entire front end to prevent scratches is going above and beyond and shows they really care about their customers. Props to them!
the whole reply sums up what i would have to say !

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm so jealous!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hopefully you got a baseline to see your net gain.... :bigthumbsup

im on the fence about doing cams and staying N/A or just getting a blower and calling it good.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hopefully you got a baseline to see your net gain.... :bigthumbsup

im on the fence about doing cams and staying N/A or just getting a blower and calling it good.....
+1

Post a video of the idle exhaust sound with the results! I will probably go the cam route if a boss intake, cams, exhaust, and tune result in 450rwhp or better.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm curious to see how it does. If he's already got headers, I would imagine being in the 460-480rwhp range (with a good tune), and revving out to 7500-7800rpms.

Not enough for me. Thankfully, we have options.
I agree... my v6 pickup did over 400 at the crank. Definitely not enough for a muscle car.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK guys, here's the results. Somewhat disappointing but not unexpected. I only picked up 14rwhp, 432, and 6 lb/ft torque, 372. My big hold back is the Boss intake. Comparing other 5.0's to mine equipped the same except with stock manifold, I'm about 25hp lower and 40 lb/ft lower. I don't want to change the Boss because I like the eye candy. Next mod will be Whipple or ProCharger and that should cure all short comings.

THE LOPE: Nothing like a 2 or 3v. My mufflers, Borla Touring, are just too quite. A louder exhaust would let you hear the small lope better. No need to post a vid till exhaust is changed cause you just wouldn't be able to distinguish it from stock. You can definitely feel it though. Actually with idle set at 1100 it is more pronounced but I did not like the higher idle so were back at 800.

CONCLUSION: With stock manifold, headers, and CAI, I feel confident you could pick up 35-45hp and over 40 lb/ft of torque by installing these cams. Looking at several 5.0's with these add on's and tuned on the same dyno, they all achieved these results. One was equipped with a Boss and after removed it picked up about 40hp. So with the right supporting equipment I believe this is a good addition to your power upgrades.

I know this will be a letdown for you guys as it was for me but I do believe this will eventually be a good move. At least now we have some real data to refer to.

I will definitely post a vid after I install new mufflers. Now just which ones, that's the big question. I've already bought 2 sets of Borla's. I need something a little less expensive this time :bigthumbsup

B

G

·
0 Posts
Don't be disappointed. The power curve is far more important than the peak numbers. Post up a graph when you get the chance.

I'm curious how much the Ti-VCT had to be restricted to run these cams? Max I believe is 40 degrees.

Comparing other 5.0's to mine equipped the same except with stock manifold, I'm about 25hp lower and 40 lb/ft lower.
Remember, unless those cars were run on the same dyno as yours you cannot compare their numbers. For all you know, their dynos were inflating their numbers. Hell, I made 438rwhp with just a CAI/Tune and catback on a dynojet. I've seen guys struggle to crack 400 even with headers and Boss intakes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't be disappointed. The power curve is far more important than the peak numbers. Post up a graph when you get the chance.

I'm curious how much the Ti-VCT had to be restricted to run these cams? Max I believe is 40 degrees.

Remember, unless those cars were run on the same dyno as yours you cannot compare their numbers. For all you know, their dynos were inflating their numbers. Hell, I made 438rwhp with just a CAI/Tune and catback on a dynojet. I've seen guys struggle to crack 400 even with headers and Boss intakes.
They were all tuned on the same dyno as mine. We pulled up all at once to compare. Will post sheet later today. Gotta run :bigthumbsup

B

·
Registered
503 Posts

Gonna suck if when you install them headers and boss intake and you were to lose some hp. Just kidding but damn those are some solid numbers.

B Square, Thanks a bunch for sharing this information !!!!!!!!!! As Grimace mentioned it will be interesting to see the new curve, time to take it to the track.

How long did it take to install the cams?

How does it drive now with the new cams, any differences?

Any State inspection worries with the cams and headers?

G

·
0 Posts
Gonna suck if when you install them headers and boss intake and you were to lose some hp. Just kidding but damn those are some solid numbers.

Haha! I was simply trying to convey the fact that they are just numbers and I had no baseline to compare to.

B Square, I find it curious that you feel the Boss intake is what is holding you back. What exactly do mean by this, and where do you feel the loss in power? Like the Boss intake, from everything I have seen cams on the Coyote engine promote top end power at the expense of low-end. This is exacerbated or completely due to the restriction in the variable cam timing. I would think the intake and cams would compliment each other, at least top-end wise. I also believe a good tuner could smooth out the curve for a very meaty powerband.

Also, did you get new valvesprings with the cams?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great job I think! I'd say if you have the stock manifold, do some comparisons.
I agree do the comparison..or at least let them overlay the stock intake graph over your graph and give you a printout B Square, I think you've earned and payed for that:)
Heres, the thing..like the graph tehMoose posted up with the heads/cams..the stock manifold #s werent even shown, dropped off at 6500 where the Boss manifold kept making power at 7500.. I say show both #s at 7500rpms to see the real difference. Another thing is why would you spend the money to build an engine that revs comfortably to 7500 and then cut its nuts off by letting it rev to 6500rpms with a stock manifold? the recovery rpms on my stock rev limit with 3.73 is about the 5100 rpms when I shift. I imagine shifting at 7400rpms it will recover at say 5500rpms at shifts? Seems like a short span of power from 5500 to 6500 if thats where the power stops with the stock manifold to me, IDK..curious to see the graphs though to see where the real power is at. The way I looked at its not gonna mean much if a car makes 30rwhp more at 4000rpms, its only gonna see it once.. lets say at a street pull, or a track.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

B Square, Thanks a bunch for sharing this information !!!!!!!!!! As Grimace mentioned it will be interesting to see the new curve, time to take it to the track.

How long did it take to install the cams?

How does it drive now with the new cams, any differences?

Any State inspection worries with the cams and headers?
I left my car at shop and they were finished that day. He only billed me for 4 hrs labor.

It drives well. Just a little more initial throttle. I think once it relearns my driving habits all will be fine.

I had no inspection problems with headers and do not expect any after cam install.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here you go guys. Please comment. You pros can read these much better than I can. I was quoting numbers from memory. Looks like I picked up 13 hp and actually lost a couple lb/ft of torque. Grimace, I used stock springs.

Before cam install:

After cam install:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts