Ford Mustang Forum banner

Cam issues? MAF issues? Help please!!

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  T.Wayne 
#1 ·
As I had stated before in a previous post, I recently had a set of Detroit Rocker cams installed in my 05 GT..What I am asking is, is there anyone out there who has a Vortech or Paxton with the DR's?..I know I may have lost a little torque but, it seems like it is not as quick with the addition of the cams and the 4.10's as it was with just the V3, headers and my old 3.31's..Could I have experienced a power loss? Question is, should I have not added these cams with a centi? The dealer states that these are fine with my set up, but I had read on Youtube that a guy stated that the HotRods and the Detroits are just for noise and dont really make that much power and are not that good for a supercharged setup..I'm confused..I'm sure the retailer knew what he was talking about..I've been there before..And also, since I've had the V3 the car runs like crap at start up no matter if it is hot or cold..It is now even worse with the cams..At a cold start up my wide band is pegged at 16 for a short period but after it has been driven and shut down, even for only a couple of minutes, at start up it runs pegged at 16 for even longer and of course runs like crap in the mean time..My question is, is there something I can do to remedy this problem..Has anyone out there had the same issue? Would a GT500 MAF do the trick?

#2 ·
I would ask to have this post moved to the GT fourm, you may get answers quicker. Some tech guys dont check here as often it seems.

Or re post under the 05-10 GT fourm and have them both out there.

Good luck, man. That's gotta suck to be expecting some nice gains and instead have noticable losses. I hope it's a simple solution like a tune.

Was it dyno tuned?

#3 ·
The Hot Rod cams are mostly for idle and noise and do little for power, whereas the Detroit Rockers do increase power. However, there are two Detroit Rocker cam grinds - one for N/A engines and one for supercharged engines.

Are you sure you got the correct grinds? It would explain a lot if you had the N/A ones installed by mistake...

Any MAF other than the stock one is unnecessary, but ask your tuner if he thinks you should get a MAFia.

You did get a dyno tune, didn't you?? Custom tuning is a must with these cams!

#4 ·
I would call.

If it was me I would call Brenspeed and talk to them.
Has the computer shown any codes??
The next thing would be did you install CMDP.
The reason I ask a friend of mine went in to boost and the valve or butterflys broke off and clogged up the works.
Very similar set up as yours.
Just a thought. Plus the boost a pump are you getting enough fuel??

T Wayne in Iraq "Bad Day On Monday"

#5 ·
Thanks for everyones input..No it has not been dyno tuned but does have a custom tune on it..I had asked them before I purchased these cams if I needed the supercharger grind and they had stated to me that those were for the twin screw setup, that the N/A grind is what I would need to go with..I'm still wondering about that..Wondering what I would really be experiencing if I had the wrong ones installed..But, Brenspeed is were all of these go fast goodies were bought and installed, so I figure they know what they are talking about..As far as fuel delivery goes, I do have a Kenne Bell boost a pump on it..Would a dyno tune help my situation? All of this has me wondering it all of these mods were really worth it..I have talked to Brenspeed about all of this, but was just wondering if anyone else out there has had they same issues and what you all have done to make getting the Stang out of the garage a little more enjoyable...Thanks.....

#6 ·
I had asked them before I purchased these cams if I needed the supercharger grind and they had stated to me that those were for the twin screw setup, that the N/A grind is what I would need to go with..
Lot of respect here for Brenspeed, but that's plain wrong. I'd like to see their explanation for that rationale.

#7 ·
I hear you on that one hubkap..That's why I have been trying to find someone out there who has a Vortech with the Detroits and which grind did they go with..I had talked to the guy at Brenspeed who installed my cams and had asked him about it, and he had said the same thing to me as the install manager did in regards to which grind..He did explain why, but I don't remember..Wondering if maybe I should just have the stock cams reinstalled and forget about it..No disrespect to Brenspeed, but I've spent a lot of money there..I know they do extensive R and D on there products and they have done tests with these cams on a twin screw, but I failed to ask if they had done the same trial and error on a Vortech or Paxton to determine which grind would be best suited..I would like to think they would not have led me in the wrong (cam) direction knowing all of my mods, i.e Vortech..But all in all everyones input is greatly appreciated..Thanks to all...

#8 ·
I wasn't clear in translating my train of thought to the post, sorry. Here's what I would do:

PM Brenspeed and in your pm post a link to this thread. Ask them their thoughts and to explain why it was suggested you go with the NA grinds over the SC grinds.

Just an idea. They should be pretty responsive and clarify for us all. :bigthumbsup

#9 ·
?????

I know of 2 Mustangs 1 a 06 and the other 07 running DR Cams N/A and a NON-Intercooled and 1 a Intercooled and they are good to go.
I'm wondering also because I was heading in the direction you are at now. I asked if the N/A DR are good with the Centri SC and they yes
at the time that was April 09. Since then the cars above got their MODS with positive results. I'm with Hub Cap on his last post.
I have done buisness with them and anytime I had a issue ,needed my tune tweeked it happen over night.

T Wayne in Iraq

#11 ·
Todd-

As discussed earlier on the phone, if you think you are experiencing any abnormal issues we will be more than happy to take a look at the car. You have a luxury a lot of our customers dont have and that is you only live 20 minutes away. A GT500 MAF is not going to do the trick, nor is it your problem. The stock MAF on your setup is good to around 500rwhp. Like i said bring the car in if you have doubts and we will be more than happy to take a look. I'd also highly recommend putting the car on the dyno so that we can dial things in because you have made a lot of changes in the last month. In the end, if you think something is abnormal or you have questions, give us a call or cruise in here. Thats what we are here for :)

#13 ·
Get a dyno tune, that should fix the issue or at the very least find your problem.

#14 ·
Not to be rude, but no.

And no offense to Brenspeed, I have no experience with them but have only good things about them, if they try to charge you for anything more, I wouldn't do it. Seems to me that you are having that problem as I discussed in the other thread with the LSA being to low. The proper thing to do is 1) put in the stock cams and lose the idle 2) get a set of cams that have a higher LSA, unfortunately we don't even know what LSA yours is due to Brenspeed's disclosure of this information. If they are offering to check everything out, and it is free, go for it, but don't let them charge you for anything. I have had this problem for months now.

Another question, do you have lt headers? If the cams are too much for the stock manifolds, that is another way you can lose your power.

#15 ·
Well, I sure hope I didn't start a war on here..I have nothing but trust and respect for the guys at Brenspeed and will do business with them in the future..I am a very particular individual and was just looking for someone who may have had some issues with engine modifications similar to mine..The car runs great other than a minor problem at start up, and I am certainly not blaming the new cams for that..Could it be maybe not a loss of power, but maybe my problem is not being used to the new 4.10's..Not hot footing it like I used to..I don't know..I did not know what to expect with these upgrades, so anything even moderately different than stock I'm going to have questions in regards to it's current running status..If I may have offended anyone in my quest for knowledge, I am truly sorry...Thanks to all who have replied and those at Brenspeed..I believe my questions have been answered..

#16 ·
I was just trying to get at the root of your issues, but no luck. No war started, either, just some dialog.

If important things as cam profiles are so secret how can we determine if they might be a contributing factor in your drivability problems?

If I was to take every parts marketer at their word to "trust is - they work - we've tested them," I'd be running a BBK throttle body with a spacer, put solvents in my gas tank for the claimed 30% mileage increase, etc etc etc.

But that's just me :bigthumbsup

I'm very particular too (obviously) but one doesn't always need to have the exact setup as someone else to troubleshoot a problem :winks

#18 ·
I agree

I think your like allot of us Todd not always knowing what to anticipate with new MODS. I always let the car warm up a little before I drive it and I have never had a problem with these cams.
But I don't have your set up close but minus about 90hp LOL
I know Brenspeed will take care of you. The Forum was used for what I think it's intent is. Hub made a truthful statement about the Specs and Brenspeed replied. No foul here in my book.
I think we are lucky to have good Members and Sponsors that will post and post what is on the table and get to the facts of the matter. Keep us posted and let us know how everthing works out.

T Wayne in Iraq

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.