Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the timing cover is off my car to replace the timing cover and gasket. It's a now or never moment as far as putting in a new cam.

I am looking at Comp Cams to go with my mods: 1985-95 Mustang 5.0/5.8L Comp Xtreme Energy Camshaft, Hydraulic Roller, Fw Xe270hr-12 at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Anyone have experience with this cam? Since would also need to buy new lifter, etc this is a pricy diversion from an already expensive top end build.

How much Hp would I realistically expect? I need to decide by the end of today before the shop is ready to close up the timing cover. Rear end is almost rebuilt with the 3.73s :happydancer:

My car looks like it's in the middle bypass surgery at the moment.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
this going to be used with the gt40x heads & 1.7 rocker combo in your sig?? or something else? stock bottom end still?

what cam are you replacing this with?
what is the primary use for the car?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock bottom end and cam in car. Would be used with mods listed in signature. Car is in shop as we speak. I have car stripped down and having them replace the heads, etc.

Car is mostly a garage queen with the occasional run at New England Dragway

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
That is a decent little cam for your combo. Now on how much HP is this going to give over the stock stick is hard to tell. The cam will give you more than just peak hp. It will give you midrange and then extend your powerband so you can make more hp past 5k.

Is the cobra lower ported?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Intake is right out of the box.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
it would be a nice little street strip cam
Make sure the valve springs can handle that much lift

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do I know if the Crane Cam Energizers have springs that work with the cam?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
you need to know the spring specs..installed height and what height the spring goes into coil bind

you need to be close to .060-.080" away from coil bind for the springs to properly control the valves

what springs do you have?

CompCams recommends their # 986-16 dual springs,but the will most likely require machining the seats to install them on your heads
COMP Cams: Dual Valve Springs: 1.430" O.D. Outer, .697" I.D. Inner

cam card for the xe270hr:
35-324-8 - Xtreme Energy

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
What Need said and also make sure they measure and get the correct hardened pushrods.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys. I told the shop to forget about the cam. I'm already so far over budget so adding on the cam and lifters would be pouring sulfuric acid on the wound.

When I bought my car I intended to keep her stock. She needed a rear main seal the day I bought it. It also had a leaking intake so I got the double whammy. Oh yeah, my right rear axle seal was blown (was not known when I bought it).

Long story short is I decided with the intake and rear-end apart I may as well go full-tilt and put new intake, heads, and rear gears into the car. This has turned into an expensive "repair" project:yup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts