Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I'm at the point where a cam should be the next mod in my setup, but there's so many out there I don't know how to choose one.

Here's what I've got so far:

'87 GT with World Class T5, Long-tube headers, high-flow cats, Flowmaster catback, Explorer intake and TB, K&N cone, GT40 iron heads, and 1.7 roller rockers.

I plan to convert to MAF before doing the cam using a 75MM Cobra unit calibrated for 19lb injectors.

Since it's 100% street-driven, low-end power is important to me. I want to avoid stalling out at idle and "peakiness".

I was considering an E303, but have read things like "there's better cams out there." I know there's a ton of cam makers out there (Crane, Comp Cams, Lunati, Crower, Steeda, etc) but I don't really know how their offerings compare to each other or to the FMS offerings.

Any wisdom is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I would call comp cams and get their opinion .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would go with the E303 cam. But you would have to modify or replace your valve covers because of the 1.7 rockers you have installed. I have the E303 and I am pleased w/ it. You could also go w/ the F303 which I had but I had a problem w/ the idle I had to keep it running by babying the gas. I have pretty much the same setup as you from what it sounds except I have equal length shorty headers. Shop around.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't know what kind of budget you're working with or if you've upgraded your valve springs or not. Here's what I would do. Pull the heads and home port them, upgrade your springs, freshen up the deck and valve seats if you haven't already done so. The trickflow stage 1 is a good cam for that combo, it pulls good vacuum and has a good, not too peeky, power band. It will work fine for valve clearance if you have stock size gt40 valves, if you've upgraded sizes, you may have clearance problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.