Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if any knows of any cams you can run in a pretty much stock GT. I have a CAI and exhaust on it now. I plan on going with a larger throttle body soon as well. Is there a CAM that would work with this set up, that would benefit the car? Or is there just not enough done to the car to justify this? I used the search forums but couldn't find anything on this set up. Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cams are good if you have the supporting mods to go with them. Headers are almost a must for cams, as they will help regain some of the low end torque. Also I would do gears before I would do cams. It also depends what you want cams for if you are looking for the sound then that's one thing but for hp gain I would look in another direction. For the price of cams and installation and supporting mods on a stock motor I would through a used blower on it or nitrous kit and call it a day

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have the 3.73s in the rear, I forgot all about them. I'm not looking for any crazy #s from a cam, just like the sound pretty much. I haven't seen a single cam offered any where I have looked. Starting to think it's not a good idea for the SOHC

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know where u have been looking but here a few off the top of my head.

Comp, cms, Hi tech, mhs, Bullet and livernois

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked on some of those company sites mentioned but I have only seen them offered in pairs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's because you need two of them. You have a car that has 2 heads with a cam in each head making it a sohc. Having a cam in both heads doesnt make it a dohc if it had 4 cams 2 in each head then it would be dohc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cams are awesome for power, and even on a mild bolt on car, they will enhance power greatly.
Some things to keep in mind are if the cams will require valve springs as well, if they are going to clear your pistons and not cause PTV issues. Even some stage 2 cams have too much duration and will cause PTV, while others with the same lift will not due to lower duration. If you will be adding a supercharger in the future, get supercharger cams as the overlap will be less with these, and will make more power as a result.

We wrote a good tech article on cams, and how to choose the right cam for you. Check it out.
Last Call Racing Customer Forums • View topic - Camshafts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts