Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a set of Comp Cams Stage 2 XFI NSR cams for my 06 GT. According to Comp Cam's web site "Works with tuners, no computer re-tuning required." I'm running a Steeda CAI with high inlet tube and a Steeda high octane tune. I also have JBA Cat4Ward headers installed. Is it really OK to run these cams without a tune update? I eventually want to get a dyno tune after I'm finished with the engine mods and don't want to spend the extra money on another e-mail tune. Since I'll probably buy the cams from Brenspeed, I'll have to purchase a tune from them if required. The Steeda tune is great (came with the CAI purchased direct from Steeda), but to my knowledge they don't update them as you add more mods.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
The cams will probably net you a 20hp gain (being optimistic). 20hp only represents about a 8-9% power increase. This is not how it works, it would never be this simple and cut and dry but for arguments sake lets say the cams make 8% more power and that would lean the motor out 8%. There is no way it would be 1 to 1 like that though, it would be less, but we can pretend it is. If you were to lean out you’re A/F mixture 8% and assuming it was 13.5:1 which it is probably not the cams would lean it out 1 point. That would be absolute worse case scenario, but it would never happen. And even if it did the A/F would still be perfectly safe.

I reality the stock tune is richer than 13.5:1 and the fuel change from the cams would be about half of the 8% outlined above. The car would be very, very far into the safe zone.

That being said the car would run a whole lot better with a tune and you will be leaving a lot of power on the table.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
I personally would have it dyno tuned. If I'm spending that much money I want all the performance they have.

·
Registered
489 Posts
like travlers said I would as well get a dyno tune.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. I intend to get the dyno tune, but I wanted to wait until I am finished with the engine mods. I'm debating delete plates, the new C&L manifold, or possibly FI.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I intend to get the dyno tune, but I wanted to wait until I am finished with the engine mods. I'm debating delete plates, the new C&L manifold, or possibly FI.
I'd hold off on the C&L new manifold. The jury is still out on that one. :headscratch:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
With a cam swap, definetly tune it if you want the full potential of the swap. As far as the new C&L intake, read the article in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Tech section in the June 09 issue. N/A she netted with stock manifolds 27RWHP, and with the single blade whipple throttle body it picked up an additional 4RWHP. So with a good dyno tune and the cams advanced just enough, and add the intake to it you could most likely see between 40 - 50-RWHP gains here, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With a cam swap, definetly tune it if you want the full potential of the swap. As far as the new C&L intake, read the article in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Tech section in the June 09 issue. N/A she netted with stock manifolds 27RWHP, and with the single blade whipple throttle body it picked up an additional 4RWHP. So with a good dyno tune and the cams advanced just enough, and add the intake to it you could most likely see between 40 - 50-RWHP gains here, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup
Thanks Mike, anyway to send me a link to that article? I don't subscribe to that magazine. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would gather all the mods that require a tune first before you custom tune the car. Saves alot of return trips to the dyno shop to have you tune adjusted.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Since I'll probably buy the cams from Brenspeed, I'll have to purchase a tune from them if required.
I thought Brenspeed gave you either 1 or 3 tunes for free if you bought mods from them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Brenspeed will update the tune if you are already running their tune. If you're not, then you have to purchase one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.