Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new cam in my 69 302 motor. I torqued the cam thrust plate bolts to the recommended 10 pounds, but just realized I didn't put thread lock on them. The motor isn't completely assembled yet, I would just need to remove the timing cover and sprocket to redo the bolts. I'd prefer to not redo the gasket unless necessary. Should I worry, or is thread lock not crucial for these bolts? (I did thread lock the main cam bolt through the fuel pump eccentric)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I installed a new cam in my 69 302 motor. I torqued the cam thrust plate bolts to the recommended 10 pounds, but just realized I didn't put thread lock on them. The motor isn't completely assembled yet, I would just need to remove the timing cover and sprocket to redo the bolts. I'd prefer to not redo the gasket unless necessary. Should I worry, or is thread lock not crucial for these bolts? (I did thread lock the main cam bolt through the fuel pump eccentric)

Doubt you'll have any problems, although for piece of mind I'd take care of it now. I've done the same thing many times and I've never had an issue with the bolts backing out.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
That is usually not a problem man but if if it will give you heartburn at night do it now, how much is a gasket anyway
Joe

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you are worried enough to post the question then I would do it for peace of mind. (But then again, I'm the type who wonders if I locked the front door every time I leave the house.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, all. I'm throwing caution to the wind and not spending my spare moments worrying about a bolt. Life's too short and I want to get this motor back together one of these days. Sage advice. :smoke:

Of course now my worry will switch over to a leak in the den roof or ants in the workshed or something. *sigh* When did I turn into this worrisome homeowner hybrid of Hank Hill and Red Forman?

·
Registered
125 Posts
What did we do before threadlock was invented? We torqued the bolts to the spec. Since you torqued the bolts to spec. you will be ok. OHMYGOSH i did not put threadlock on my headbolts !

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Ford didn't use threadlocker on those bolts and neither did I. I just torqued them down to spec. There is a school of thought against using threadlocker on internal engine bolts. If a small piece of dried threadlocker were to enter into the oil passages, it can ruin bearings, or seize the oil pump to name a couple of possibilities. Don't worry about it if the bolts are torqued.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts