Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just how hard is it to install a cam in these cars and is the ford motorsports and a summit cam almost the same also what are some other items that will need to be changed with this upgrade.

R

·
0 Posts
before the cam you really need to upgrade you heads & intake....

:head_shot:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Cams are very easy to install, may take a bit of work but well worth it at the end, make sure you have a torque wrench at the end to do it all right as far as specs are concerned. Most cams have a cam kit which are good to work with the cam, but I will forever and a day tell everyone if you want to have a nice cam fit to you, call and ask about a custom grinde cam. Tell them what you have as for car and its parts and what you want from your cam, install and presto. Enjoy the new thump stick.

·
Registered
94 Posts
if you have not upgraded to mass air then i would invest in that as i dont know what performance gains you can expect with speed density with out upgrade to your computer or something. cams are pretty straight forward install just take your time you only want to do this once

·
Registered
460 Posts
Also with the ford cam it will not work correctly if you have not switched to mass air. When you do your cam you should also change your timing chain an i would defanitly get a new intake.

·
Registered
109 Posts
They make speed density cam upgrades. A cam company can probably grind you a profile that is workable. If you think that you will be doing more with the motor I would switch to mass air.

If you are dead set on a new cam, buy a new timing gear set and water pump too since they have to come off. You will need a harmonic balancer puller (can get it at just about any parts store), a breaker bar and a basic tool set.

If you dont already have one, buy a Haynes Manuel and read up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.