Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with a guy today who has an IROC Z. He told me that he bought and auto one because the T-5s in the Camaros were not very reliable. This is contrary to the Mustang world where I rarely hear people complain about their T-5s. Its definitly not because the Camaro put out more power. Any idea as to why this is? Maybe because it was made by Chevy? lol

I also found it funny that Chevy couldn't even give the Camaro a true dual exhaust...

·
Registered
152 Posts
what are you talking about?:nono: I grew up loving camaro's. They are sick but i also like mustangs.:gringreen You cant go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
No idea about the IROC T5, maybe rj8806 could tell you.

G

·
The Mustang and Camaro both used T-5 transmissions built by Borg-Warner for their third generations.

The big difference (other than input and output shafts) is that the Mustangs got an upgraded version of the T-5 midrun while the Chevys kept the same design. The upgraded version (aka "World Class" T-5) is more durable.

The T-5 is no "bulletproof" transmission in the Mustang either, but upgrades for this transmission in Mustangs are readily available, whereas the aftermarket parts companies embraced the TH-700-R4 automatic more on the GM side because of it's popularity and the fact that even with all of its little flaws it's a solid foundation to build from.

Another reason the T-5 has a bad reputation with Chevy guys is because swapping 350s, 383s, and 400s into third gen Camaros is very popular, and usually turns stock T-5s into scrap metal. Borg-Warner never built the T-5 to take that kind of power.

The last reason T-5s are unpopular with Camaro owners is because the Powerglide, TH-350, TH-700R4, and TH-200-4R automatics all fit into them easily, are either tough enough for racing or easily upgraded to that level of durability already, and tend to be easier for drag racing than shifting through 5 gears with a T-5.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Mustang and Camaro both used T-5 transmissions built by Borg-Warner for their third generations.

The big difference (other than input and output shafts) is that the Mustangs got an upgraded version of the T-5 midrun while the Chevys kept the same design. The upgraded version (aka "World Class" T-5) is more durable.

The T-5 is no "bulletproof" transmission in the Mustang either, but upgrades for this transmission in Mustangs are readily available, whereas the aftermarket parts companies embraced the TH-700-R4 automatic more on the GM side because of it's popularity and the fact that even with all of its little flaws it's a solid foundation to build from.

Another reason the T-5 has a bad reputation with Chevy guys is because swapping 350s, 383s, and 400s into third gen Camaros is very popular, and usually turns stock T-5s into scrap metal. Borg-Warner never built the T-5 to take that kind of power.

The last reason T-5s are unpopular with Camaro owners is because the Powerglide, TH-350, TH-700R4, and TH-200-4R automatics all fit into them easily, are either tough enough for racing or easily upgraded to that level of durability already, and tend to be easier for drag racing than shifting through 5 gears with a T-5.

wow i didnt think that t-5s were in any other cars. thanks:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply74stang2togo. Thats some good info:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
435 Posts
Another reason the guy may have chosen an auto is that as far as I know the 5.7 engine only came with auto. The manual trans IROC came with the 305.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.