Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone! longtime no see! sorry i haven't been posting on here in about a month. but im back! anyway, I recently found my local speed shop will install cams for $500 :smilie so I'm getting cams! but which ones to get. I really like the way the brenspeed detroit rockers sound and performance gains. Ive also heard and like the sound of The FRPP hot rod cams. but don't know about there performance gains. and don't know anything about comp cams. what I want is that lopey idle with the maximum gains. if you guys could give me your input that would be great. Also. what kind of numbers to ppl with my mods plus cams run in the 1/4?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Detroit Rockers

I have had these Cams since the first shipment arrived.
I like the HP gains and Love the idle.
Zero issues they are produced for Brenspeed by Comp Cams
based off Brenspeeds Specs.
Dave at Brenspeed did the install and he really took the time with me so I could understand these motors better and the Cam.
Now I have driven a 05 with the Thumpers Comp Cams and they require the lock out and NSR. They sound as advertised Thumpy but they have a personality at low RPM's that at times will have you working the clutch it's not the worst Cam Buckling but it's a character. The Hot Rods cost a little more but have had good reviews.
What I like about the Detroit Rockers is how smooth they are while drivability is great. Now one observation of mine is to let them warm up and grab the idle. I say this because I have noticed with my car and the MODS all stays very smooth. I took off one time engine cold and I had to engage the clutch a couple of times. I had put into gear while the initial start up idle was at 1700 RPM it only takes a matter of seconds and it settles into the idle so this would be a better discription than say warming up.
HP?? I have seen some of these cars take to a MOD and Tune like a fish in water and others needed a little work in the Tune so the law of averages comes into play. You will have to update your tune.

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
182 Posts
Please take my advice and don't get mutha thumpers. They sound awesome at idle but they have all kinds of problems with them. Trust me on that. I am so mad I am going to make a thread on it here within the next couples weeks (when I get my car running again) and vent to everyone and try to prevent this for anyone else. Get the detroit or ford racing cams just because of their reputation and customer service. Plus I believe you can get a tune that comes with the cams from brenspeed which sounds like a winner to me.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Brenspeed

The CS at Brenspeed is great I can only say good things. They have a solid team and they take the time to inform. They never at any time talk down to me. I said I have this car and I want to know more and I want to MOD it. A simple reply what do want out of it and what do you want to know. I have called around my area and it's you need new heads you need a $6000.00 Super Charger and all I said was I would like to pick up 50hp or so to get started.
Well I have got past that goal and givin your MODS and the addition of Cams it will make a for a nice N/A car.

MODS:JLT CAI, SCT Bren 93, BBK UDP's, Metco Idler Pulleys, UPR Catch Can, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Detroit Rocker Cams, Steeda CMDP's
and some BMR suspension, Muffler Deletes Pypes.
Some L/T's are next.

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
114 Posts
I used Comp 127350`s before the blower.With long tubes and CAI it made 335 WHP through the stock auto.The`re not lumpy cams but do work real good.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Good Cam as well

Just a stroked sleeper with a Whipple
10.65 @ 130.11:woo:

I love folks who are Humble. LOL

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wish brenspeed would give us some kind of discount. I can get ford hot rod cams from AM for $686 where as the detroit rockers from brenspeed are $799. decisions, decisions ....

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
$$$$$$$$

I looked them up and they list at AM for $729.99.
Are they on sale this month??
The thing I have noticed with FRPP claims to HP is the test platform.
The FRPP intake was tested on a 360CID motor.
Then the write up on AM shows they tested the Hot Rod Cams at first with CNC heads. I like the fact they did a second test without the CNC heads to give the end user a look into different set ups.

T Wayne

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats without the afm discount t wayne

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can anyone show me or tell me the difference in gains? ive found a dyno of detroit rockers. but i cant find one of hot rod cams, longtubes and CAI +tune. if anyone could find it or let me know about it that would be great

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Great Price

I looked them up and was wondering. At that price you listed it would be hard not to get them.
HP Hot Rods AM did list 2 set ups and one fits the MODS you listed,
CAI and L/T's. That is what I like about Brenspeed and AM they test what they sell in a car fully dressed and you get real #'s.
I will pick a magazine up and the engine they test parts on is in a test cell without the rest of the car. I have never read anything negative about the FRPP cams as far as quality.
Keep us posted and have a great 4th of July.

T Wayne in Iraq

1 - 11 of 11 Posts