Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for the proper way of installing the camshaft sensor on a 2002 mustang gt with a 4.6 sohc does piston number 1 have to be in upright position , if so how can i tell. thanks .

G

·
why are you installing a cam sensor? they dont go bad.....if you got a DTC of P0340, you need an alternator, not a sensor.

G

·
all data site said the code was camshaft sensor and now it takes a couple of times to start .

99.99% of the time when the PO340 code for the cam sensor comes up on a 2002 to 2004 Mustang the problem is the alternator, trust me, I've seen alot of this over the last year...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for the info i haven't been on for a while working alot . so i reset the camshaft sensor and replaces the alt. no check engine light and car runs strong 4 days straight thank you very much again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A related problem

Hey Randy, you seem to know what you're talking about so maybe you could help me. I have an '02 GT with 45,000 miles with a problem that my mechanic and I are having trouble diagnosing which might be related to what you are talking about.

When I am driving I occasionally have the service engine soon light come on and the car misfires badly for a short period of time then it goes off and runs fine again. We have checked it with the Diablosport Predator that I tuned it with and got codes for misfires on cylinders 3 and 7 and a random misfire code. We set it back to the factory settings with no luck. In search of a solution so far we have replaced the fuel filter, PCV valve, air filter, spark plugs, and have tried new coils on the misfiring cylinders. The problem has improved but still exists. My mechanic wants to start replacing coils one at a time for all of the cylinders and have me drive it to see if the light stays off in hopes of finding a bad coil. However, I talked to another mechanic who thinks it might be the camshaft sensor. Could this be a possiblity? Do you think I might need a new alternator? Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me insane. Thanks.

G

·
Hey Randy, you seem to know what you're talking about so maybe you could help me. I have an '02 GT with 45,000 miles with a problem that my mechanic and I are having trouble diagnosing which might be related to what you are talking about.

When I am driving I occasionally have the service engine soon light come on and the car misfires badly for a short period of time then it goes off and runs fine again. We have checked it with the Diablosport Predator that I tuned it with and got codes for misfires on cylinders 3 and 7 and a random misfire code. We set it back to the factory settings with no luck. In search of a solution so far we have replaced the fuel filter, PCV valve, air filter, spark plugs, and have tried new coils on the misfiring cylinders. The problem has improved but still exists. My mechanic wants to start replacing coils one at a time for all of the cylinders and have me drive it to see if the light stays off in hopes of finding a bad coil. However, I talked to another mechanic who thinks it might be the camshaft sensor. Could this be a possiblity? Do you think I might need a new alternator? Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is driving me insane. Thanks.

hmmm, not being able to load the stock tune:scratchchin this could be a tuff-one, but given the poor track record of the 2002 up alternators, I'd start there...I sea your local, if you want/need a oem alternator, lmk as we sell them for $199.00 + tax and can ship if you like or you can pick-up here;) were @45mins east of Frederick on Rt 26

G

·
Cool, thanks Randy. Do you think I should go with the OEM or an aftermarket, and if so, which one?

I recommed oem Ford and NOT just because I work in/at a Ford dealers parts department.....;)

I've just seen to many problems wth aftermarket electronics on Ford products, oh and Dont fall for that parts store "lifetime warranty" ********, either...thats just a sales ploy to get you in the store, so you buy more **** you dont really need:nono:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alright, thanks. Since you gave me the answer I'd like to give you the business so I'll let you know sometime in the near future once I get the extra cash together. It's not my daily driver so I fix the problems slower than most people would!:bigthumbsup

G

·
ok, sounds good...just give me a days notice as I have toget from my warehouse downtown and that takes a few hours...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.