Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i'm new to the site, and recently joined the army of mustang owners. i got a 94 v6, and beginning to think that my excitement over the great deal i got may have been inappropriate. cause it's been one thing right after the other. every time i fix the cause of that damn light, it finds something else to complain about and shines brightly in my face as i drive to work just before the sun comes up. anyways, here's the question i have. keep in mind i'm barely capable of changing my own spark plugs. so i'm not much of a mechanic. well, i took my ride down to my buddy who hooked his little computer up to my car once again, and this time it says it's the camshaft position sensor. ok, fine i looked in my trusty chilton manual and that looks do-able. but my buddy says that 9 times out of ten the syncronizer is bad as well. now, there is the problem. i've looked and looked and looked, and my book makes no mention of any damn syncronizer. oh, and my buddy says it's about a 3 or 4 hundred dollar part, this sycronizer. so what i'm asking is what the hell is the sycronizer? is there a real name for this thing? or is it my buddy's most recent acid flashback? the 80 dollar camshaft postion sensor, and some grease under my nails isn't a big deal. but if we're talking about a 500 dollar fix plus labor, i may have to approach this from a slightly different angle. anyways, any help you gentlemen could offer is greatly appreciated. i've looked alot of the threads over on this site and you all seem like a very helpfull bunch. so thanks in advance.

cya
John (SkyCowboy):confused:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
next time your check engine light comes on take it to autozone and get the code pulled come back here and im sure someone on here has the code listings, that way we can narrow down your search to find out what your problem is. Alot of knowledgable people on here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my friend put the computer on my car and that's what the code was. it said that my problem is the camshaft position sensor. that's no problem, i'll change that. my question is about the syncronizer that my friend said almost certainly would be bad as well. i have no idea what part he's refering to, or how i would know if it were bad or not. i just know that he said it was expensive, therefore i want to make sure that it needs to be replaced before i do so.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
syncronizer is in your tranny, has nothing to do with the camshaft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, then what could he be talking about? he said that there's a good chance that when i take the cam position sensor off to replace it, i'll find that the other thing is bad too, and will have to replace it. thanks for your reply, i'm just looking for a little piece of mind that when i do this (replace the position sensor) that i'm not gonna open up a huge can of stinky worms. i have purchased the position sensor, and will probably do the work next weekend unless somebody here tells me it's not a good idea. thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm a touch confused. I'm troubleshooting a no spark issue in my sons 94 3.8, and it has NO camshaft sensor. Apparently the 94-95 EDIS only used a crankshaft sensor. So here you are all talking about the camshaft sensor?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.