Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats cams could anyone suggest to give more midrange and topend. Something streetable ,semi smooth idle and still run stock springs if possible. Running short tube BBKs, C&L CAI, stock cats with Ford Racing Xpipe splice,Brenspeed tune.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Comp Cams STAGE 2 XFI™ VSR (Valve Springs Required) is a very good cam. I've been running it for about 8 months with no problems.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
I thought you had the stage 3?
They redesignated their cams. They used to have 4 stages but now only 3 and the stage 3's now require a cam phaser limiter. I have the 127300s which we all used to call stage 3's but comp now calls them a stage 2.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Gotcha. The new limiters might make for some more interesting cams coming out soon. Especially with more lift.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
That looks promising, and tempting. Although the approximate $1800+ in parts could be hard to justify.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. Tried the LTs and high flow cats but emission issues a hassle.Thought I'd try cams.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
That looks promising, and tempting. Although the approximate $1800+ in parts could be hard to justify.
It really isn't cheap. I'm toying with the idea of adding the phaser limiters to my setup. I don't want to run into any piston to valve clearance problems in the event I lose oil pressure.

·
Registered
137 Posts
grrrrrrrrrrrrrr this entire s197 cam thing is gettin' on my nerves!!! l want a freakin' set for my car soooo bad, i dont want to replace springs or retainers if i dont have to, i want decent power with a noticable idle. im going to go CRAZY

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
just get laugh gas. These cars can handle a 100 shot no problem and just have 3 tunes :) street tune, pump gas w/juice and then 3rd one race fuel w/juice.

Thats how I would do it if I can do it all over again. This will save you money and allow you to put more money to your rear suspension and an engine build up

I would not waste money on CAM's if you are keeping your stock heads. If you plan on taking them off either port and polish them and do some new valves and springs all at the same time. Kill a dozen of birds with one huge stone.

Of just buy a new set of cams and turn yours in for a core and get the cams you want. The overall price will be more of course but the savings for labor will be much better.

I will make you a friendly bet that if you mod your rear suspension and beef up your chassis and get a good set of tires and go to the track your times will be much more lower then with cam's.

Overall a great mod to do but just not effecient to do it as it is. 1600 or soo hundred dollars for 30hp and a idle is not worth it to me. For that price you can do nitrous and your rear suspension and pull probably an 11.5 in the 1/4

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I'm beginning to think that cams and VVT don't mix well.
I'm starting to feel that way too. Makes me just want to give up on them all together. Too much of a headache, errrr, character building exercise.

I can install another set of headers if I need to build some more of that. :happydance:

I think tact has the right idea with the giggle gas. Much cheaper, eaiser install, power when you need it. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm starting to feel that way too. Makes me just want to give up on them all together. Too much of a headache, errrr, character building exercise.

I can install another set of headers if I need to build some more of that. :happydance:

I think tact has the right idea with the giggle gas. Much cheaper, eaiser install, power when you need it. :D

I don't know what it is, but I just can't take nitrous cars seriously anywhere but at a drag strip. Funny thing I saw yesterday in traffic, a Nissan 240z with a gigantic rear wing and TURBO stickers affixed.

No offense intended, but that's how I feel about nitrous. But if I did have a nitrous setup I'd have a big freaking blue button on the dash called "Wonder Team Powers Activate!" and I'd actually wear a ring when I punch it.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I don't know what it is, but I just can't take nitrous cars seriously anywhere but at a drag strip. Funny thing I saw yesterday in traffic, a Nissan 240z with a gigantic rear wing and TURBO stickers affixed.

No offense intended, but that's how I feel about nitrous. But if I did have a nitrous setup I'd have a big freaking blue button on the dash called "Wonder Team Powers Activate!" and I'd actually wear a ring when I punch it.
That's funny. I don't think I would have the cajones to use it on the street. I've never experienced it, so I'd be scared of the sudden power increase. If you do it at night with little traffic on the highway, it's inevitable that a cop will be there. At least with my luck, there will be. :so

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
That's funny. I don't think I would have the cajones to use it on the street. I've never experienced it, so I'd be scared of the sudden power increase. If you do it at night with little traffic on the highway, it's inevitable that a cop will be there. At least with my luck, there will be. :so
I don't think nitrous is legal for street use in any state.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.